UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Guinea Pig

Pendlewitch

We have been getting reports of a guinea pig living in the bushes near one of the campus residenses, no doubt had belonged to a student and they have turned it loose. I tried to catch him today but there were too many people about so I'm going early tomorrow to see if I can get it. Poor thing is very thin, there are loads of feral students cats about so he won't last long on his own. Cross all fingers that I get him tomorrow!

You could borrow a cat trap and bait it with veggies.

A while ago I needed to catch 20+ piggies who had taken over a walled garden and eaten everything in it including the polytunnel itself. What proved invaluable was a salmon landing net, with a triangular net which shut fast on the salmon/piggie when you pulled the handle. You don't put the net over the piggie, but put something yummy in the middle and when the pig is sitting in the net eating, you close the net and simultaneously lift it just off the ground so pig drops into the bottom of it.

Would you believe Ron the Ratcatcher actually had piggy in a box and went and opened it for a look and pigster took his chance, jumped out and legged it!

We spent ages today trying to catch piggie but he's just too quick. One of the staff has a landing net so we are going to try again when we are on Tuesday night. Piggie has had loads to eat now and is living in some low cover with very twiggy bushes so is as safe as possible in the circumstances. It's really dry under there but it's the cold and the cats that are the big worry, there were two ENORMOUS feral tabbies sat at the end of a walkway yesterday and he would be a mouthful for them. They glare as we walk past and you can almost see them nudging each other and talking out of the side of their mouths.

Please think catch piggie thoughts!