UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Please Don't Get A Dog!

Pendlewitch

My great niece is 24, she lives in Germany as OH is in the army, she has two children. Eldest is 5 ish and other near 18 months and she want to get a dog 'for the youngest'. She has never had pets as her mum was put off any animals by her mum who had far too many!

GN works 5/6 hours a day, they go on holiday a lot, they come back to GB a lot, her OH could get posted abroad at any time. GN has been told in no uncertain terms that if she does get a dog it will not be welcome at her mum's house in GB. GN is talking of getting an'apartment' dog which she has been informed don't need much walking, are easy to house train, probably can be left for ages without trashing the house and I've no doubt will match the sofa. She sounds like she is talking about a toy! I really need to put her off this idea until the youngest is older and she is more realistic about the requirement of any dog, even the amazing apartment dog.

Any suggestions or links to off putting articles would be most useful.

I've never heard of an "apartment dog" - but what kind of life will he have? She's not used to animals and, I'm guessing, wouldn't know how to teach the children to behave around him. He'll be pulled about and, in that situation, most dogs are liable to bite. Surely even apartment dogs need to have walks and just be dogs for at least part of the day. It sounds like he'd be alone for much of every day and in kennels (or worse) for much of the year.

She sounds like an animal rescue's nightmare. I do hope you can convince her not to get an animal - if she must get something, a guinea pig or a goldfish that neighbours can look after if she's away, would surely suit her lifestyle much better.

Diane

How can you train an easy to housetrain dog, if you are never there?:shrug: But say they are sucessful, the dog will still need several regular toilet walks a day. sun, rain or snow. Plus the children will have to go too as you can't leave them alone in the flat. It is tough when you have a young family and a dog. Children and dogs always seem to want the loo at the same time!!!! Then there are the dog hairs and muddy footprints (is she houseproud) the wet dog smell might put her off. Then there is the cost of kenneling when they have their holidays, insurance,vet fees etc. Could they afford it?

Blimey, that's a bit long!:rolleyes: Hopefully it might give you some ideas that you haven't already thought of.