UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Following On From The Allotment And Gardening Threads

Karen

I've got some fabulous chili peppers on the plant in the greenhouse and I think the first few need to be picked.

OH likes curry, but since we have a lovely local lady who produces real curry sauce in jars, I've never had to cook a curry from scratch. All the recipes I've looked at include a million and one ingredients.

So suggestions please for a simple curry recipe, using fresh chilis!

(Feel free to add recipes for eating whatever you are growing :flowers: )

I've found this one that looks interesting, though it does use curry paste for part of it.

(I may well be making this myself, given the amount of taties I am digging up! :laugh: )

Spicy potato curry.

2 lb potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks

2 tbsp oil

1 onion, peeled and chopped

1 red chilli, seeded and chopped

3 garlic gloves

1" root ginger, grated

1 can tomatoes

6 tbsp mild curry paste

coriander to garnish

naan bread and natural yoghurt to serve

Method:

Parboil potatoes to 10 mins. Drain.

Heat oil and fry onion, chilli, garlic and ginger for 2 minutes and then add the tomatoes, paste and ½ pint water.

Add potatoes and simmer for 15 mins or until tender.

Sprinkle with coriander and serve with naan bread and natural yoghurt.

I'm going to try this one, as I have courgettes popping up on a daily basis and the herbs growing in pots.

Basil and courgette pasta bake.

Ingredients:

10 oz dry weight pasta

small bunch of fresh chopped basil

small bunch of fresh chopped chives

small bunch of fresh chopped parsley

1 red chilli, adjust to your own taste

2 onions sliced

3 medium courgettes, chopped

2 cloves garlic

2 large tins chopped tomatoes

Medium tub of fromage frais

Tablespoon olive oil

salt and black pepper to taste

Method

Cook the pasta in a pan of boiling water or veg stock, drain

Fry the courgette, onion and garlic for about 3 mins in the olive oil, add the chilli, basil, chives, tomato. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil. Stir in the cooked pasta, salt and pepper.

Pour into a casserole dish, bake in the oven 190 c / 375f / gas 5 for 25 mins

Spoon over the fromage frais and sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve

Great, thank you :flowers: Sounds a good compromise between buying a jar with readymade sauce and having to buy every spice the supermarket stocks!

I rather like the sound of the courgette bake too. I love courgettes but I'm not sure we're going to get as many in the garden as last year.

I have made the curry, using half a jar of Pataks jalfrezi curry paste and one chilli. i only had greek style yogurt to add, but it tasted fine. There is enough for four in this recipe, so there is the same again left for another day.

fd4fbcfb.jpg

You will have to try at least one of those cakes Andrea and test them for us. I don't like chocolate, but if I did I would be tempted to make one of those soon. :biggrin:

Marge, I am not a chocolate cake fan either but we did have the beetroot chocolate cake at work last year when one of our managers had a surplus of beetroot. It was rather nice, soft like carrot cake and not overly chocolatey with a hint of beetroot. :laugh: Was ok actually! :biggrin:

ooooooooooooo that looks lush :biggrin: might just give that a go myself..... well will get my mum to cook it

it's very easy, and delish :D

Marge, I am not a chocolate cake fan either but we did have the beetroot chocolate cake at work last year when one of our managers had a surplus of beetroot. It was rather nice, soft like carrot cake and not overly chocolatey with a hint of beetroot. :laugh: Was ok actually!

I am a fan of veggies in cake, they do add sweetness. There is a courgette and chocolate cake too. It's the smell and taste of the chocolate itself I don't like though, so I won't be making them :laugh:

Here's a recipe:

Chocolate courgette cake

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6186/chocolate-courgette-cake.aspx

and a lemon one. I just might have a go at this one

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/5959/lemon-courgette-cake.aspx

a blueberry and courgette cake

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/8256/blueberry-courgette-cake.aspx

Edited by houndzrus