UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Alternative Voting ( Av ) Vote On May 5Th

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ive not heard anything about machines taking over Im sure we would be one of the first to know :unsure: . We can use scales to confirm the correct number of papers are in a bundle once counted. Its amazing how precise they are and can work out if one slip is missing from a bundle.

Pro AV people say there wont be machines - anti AV say there will and have a fact sheet all about it here: http://votemay5th.notoav.org/documents/the-cost-of-AV.pdf

Much as I think the current system needs an overhaul whats being offered is not the answer - if this comes in it really wont matter what party you support cos once elected the MP's will be open to all kinds of deals and incentives by one or other party to throw in with them and get a ruling majority - how long will their principles last them eh? Just how long will they stay loyal to their election promises and manifesto - just look at the Lib Dems and the University fees issue.

I think most of them are lying barstewards who have no interest in doing anything other than sitting on the fence whilst balancing a bucket full of money towards their own pockets. I cant be assed voting for any of them and that includes the Tories whom Ive always voted for.

Sadly & unfortunately I think there are some grains of thruth in both of these personally. Is there any longer such a thing as a politican who stands by their principles (whatever system we may have)? :unsure:

Until they bring on a vote on proportional representation, which IMO is how we should decide on who leads the country, then I can't be arsed voting.

But wan't Av intended to be the compromise for now (what Clegg could get out of Cameron for the coalition) / a stepping stone to PR?

If the Torys win a no vote will we get another chance for change in the forseeable do you think?

Edited by Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I have changed my mind a few times but I have decided to vote yes although I totally expect the no vote to win

my reasoning is that if the yes vote won it would be one step closer to a decent overhaul of the system , if the no vote wins ( as I really think it will ) the 2 main parties will say that means we are all happy with what we have now and the subject will be closed

also I really believe in always casting my vote , I always have been very pro voting but watching what passes for elections in Sri Lanka really reinforced it for me

I voted for the referendum...no one told me we had local elections :unsure:

I was most surprised to be handed to forms...

One of the people in our block of flats is one of the candidates, he's obviously not interested in the...we live as one vote...