UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Embracing Change

murtle

I thought I'd start this after a couple of comments in the New Year achievements that people want as a place for people to talk about change they want to encounter, but are scared to.

I embrace change, by being open and honest with those that are impacted by it...I don't like change. I will change, but I have to feel comfortable with it. I find that by being open and finding humour it in for me I am able to get round to changing things.

By pretending that everything is ok with regards to change, I get no where.

So, how do you embrace change - or handle change when it happens?

I suppose it depends what kind of change it is. Being honest, I think I go all round the houses to avoid it wherever possible, which is not very sensible or grown up.

If it's outside my control I just try and make the best of it. Maybe it's the 'control' element that makes it difficult for me. If I feel in control, maybe I feel better :unsure:

I actually find it pretty easy to handle change - once I've decided that something is the best course I can just get on and do it.

It's uncertainty that I find difficult and trusting in my gut feeling that something is right. Normally I can back up my gut feel with some hard facts and so come up with a logical argument and then its all decided and I'm fine.

Recently though my gut feel has not entirely matched with logical argument and so I've found some things tough to decide and end up deciding nothing.

However after a number of people telling me to trust myself and go with things, I've taken a deep breath and done it. Still not sure how this new job will turn out, and there are some good arguments against me taking it, although there are some good arguments for it too. What's most scary about it is that I know I've taken a job that has a finite lifetime, I've taken it knowing it's not particularly a career move and I currenlty have every intention of quitting it in 2-3years time if I'm still doing the same thing. It could lead on to my dream engineering job, but probably unlikely. But I am now in a place where my dream engineering job doesn't have the pull that it once did. That is what freaks me out most I think, I've always had a sort of career plan and now I'm just not that interested in it anymore......

Anyway so my plan with dealing with change with accompanying uncertainty - go with the flow and trust my gut.

I'm pretty good at change. I've dropped everything and moved to a different area of the country 3 times. I took a risk when I met Martyn and moved in with him in a new area. It depends what the change is and if you have a lifeline if something goes wrong. If it had all gone horribly wrong in Warrington I could have moved back to my old house as it was a while before I sold it.

How I handle change depends on two things:

1 - Is it change for the better?

2 - Is it within my control or enforced by someone else?

I don't mind change if it's for the better - in fact it can be exciting but it has to be done there and then, I hate any sort of change to routine so it has to be done straight away so I can get back into a routine asap.

I can handle change for the worse if it's something that I am changing and I know it has to be done.

If it is enforced change and I think it's making things worse then I really really don't like it. At work we've had lots of changes over the past 17 months which has meant changes in lots of different areas, and a constant threat of redundancy hanging over us. I hate working for this company now, our parent company which bought us from the previous company claims to be all about its people, but it's all about the money and they don't really give two hoots about their staff.

Edited by merledogs

I agree with other posts that so much depends on if the change is by choice or enforced. Changes I've had forced on me (mainly at work) have proved really difficult and caused me an enormous amount of stress.

I've dealt with it by trying to find positives in the changes - not easy but helped a bit. Keeping my head down and focusing on the job itself rather than the wider picture has helped too. I think that there is no one solution to dealing with change. I'm a believer in "this too will pass" and "things will get better with time".