UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Electric Fires

merledogs

Okay, I was going to buy an expensive gas heater, but am now thinking about maybe getting an electric one instead cos it's a faff running out of gas and expensive having to pay an extra £26 (at least) every month to buy the cylinders. Plus the heater I want is over £300 and I really can't justify spending that much at the moment.

I am looking at electric alternatives instead, but want to have an idea of running costs, etc and recommendations for nice ones.

It must be a RADIANT electric fire, I don't like the fan heater type ones. I want something traditional looking, with probably a couple of bars which can be operated independently.

I've seen a couple of DImplex ones which look nice but want to get an idea of running costs for a two bar 60 watt electric fire first.

Any recommendations welcome :flowers:

I bought this gas heater off Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270628334612&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT, you can see how much I paid for it and is only 12 months old. I only have it on the low setting and it is heating the living room, hall stairs and landing.

I have an electric convector heater which was on 24 hours a day last winter, my electric bill from December to March was nearly £1,000 which is why I bought this. The convector heater was on low all the time.

I prefer to pay monthly for the gas than to have another bill like that.

That's exactly the portable gas fire I've got Mrs Mop :flowers:

Have had it a few years but I don't really like the look of it in the living room, which is why I was going to buy a different one, but I can't believe how expensive they are and they haven't dropped much in price in the last couple of years. The dogs do love their heat, so I must have one if only for them :rolleyes:

At the moment I don't have any heating in the living room, the gas fire that was in didn't work so I took it out, bought on on Ebay to go in then Ellie ran up a terrific vet bill which I am still paying off, until this is paid no work is being done on the house so no heat in the living room.

The fire doesn't look good but we are nice and cosy, it looks better than the carpet and suit I have :laugh: Hopefully next winter the living room will have a fire in, this can then go in the conservatory then

Okay, I was going to buy an expensive gas heater, but am now thinking about maybe getting an electric one instead cos it's a faff running out of gas and expensive having to pay an extra £26 (at least) every month to buy the cylinders. Plus the heater I want is over £300 and I really can't justify spending that much at the moment.

I am looking at electric alternatives instead, but want to have an idea of running costs, etc and recommendations for nice ones.

It must be a RADIANT electric fire, I don't like the fan heater type ones. I want something traditional looking, with probably a couple of bars which can be operated independently.

I've seen a couple of DImplex ones which look nice but want to get an idea of running costs for a two bar 60 watt electric fire first.

Any recommendations welcome :flowers:

60 watts is the strength of a light bulb. Are you sure that is not the bulbs used to light up the fire?

A bar on a fire is normally 1 kilowatt- using 1 kw of electricity per hour. Using two 1 kw bars at once will use 2 kw per hour.