UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Any Maths Bods?

gooster

One of my friends has asked me to help with her 9 year old daughter's maths homework and it's scrambling my brain!!

You need to make the number 793 from using the following numbers only once: 8, 8, 4, 75, 50 and 100.

Help!!!!

(((100+8)x8)+4)-75=793

or

((100-(8-4))x8 + (75-50)=793

:flowers:

Bleedin' 'ell, I'm 44 and wouldn't have a clue where to start on that.

I was already really not looking forward to maths with my nearly 6 year old son, now I'm quaking in my boots :wacko:

At least I know I can come here to get the answers :biggrin:

Wouldn't describe myself as a "maths bod" but I do like the odd puzzle, Countdown etc. All you basically needed was the obvious 800 - 7 Starting with 8*100 and looking to use the other numbers you can see 75-50 = 25 so add that to 800 & you have 825. You can also see that 8*4 is 32 and 32 - 25 gives the seven you needed, so

(8*100)+(75-50)-(8*4) = 793

Edited by Ian

God, it took me so long to try and modify my post it timed out. What I was going to add was

You can see why Miss Ripley used to keep me behind in maths and shout at me all the time :rolleyes: For me, it's like being colour blind, I just don't 'see' numbers. It really gets my goat, I feel so stupid.

No offence intended with the "obvious" - I agree sometimes what is obvious to one is not to another, however intelligent. :flowers:

For me though I just looked at the 8 & the 100 & thought it was the "obvious" place to start (I must have watched too many Countdowns when unable to sleep :rolleyes: ) given a target of 793 being so close. The rest just fell into place & confirmed I was on the right track.

Nope, still have no idea :wacko:

Ian, you lost me when you said 'All you basically needed was the obvious 800 - 7'

What's obvious about it, I don't even see the numbers 800 and 7 :unsure:

God, it took me so long to try and modify my post it timed out. What I was going to add was

You can see why Miss Ripley used to keep me behind in maths and shout at me all the time :rolleyes: For me, it's like being colour blind, I just don't 'see' numbers. It really gets my goat, I feel so stupid.

like you i am crap at maths...always have been, always will be, no matter how hard i tried i just didn't get it :rolleyes: i was constantly compared to my genius maths bod brother by maths teachers at secondary school.... i used to just point out i am not brother...we are all different and have our own talents :flowers: i don't think either you or i are stupid :flowers: