UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fibrocartilaginous Embolism

celeste

My friends elderly Springer Biggles has been struck down with FCE, he took a bit of a tumble on Wednesday and on Friday had lost the use of his back legs due to the embolism which the vets thinks was caused by his fall on the Wed, It's caused by a stray piece of matter lodging in his spinal column, hopefully it will get better, but Bigsy is pretty creaky on his front legs so is finding things pretty tough going with no power in his rear, he has a harness ( the one Griff sent me ) which has been a godsend for helping him about.

Has anyone else had any experience of this condition ?.

sorry i don't have any experience :flowers: is an embolism a blood clot:??: i wonder does the veterinary world use that drug what they give to heart a ttack victims....it is a clot buster..mind you that might need to be given within a set timescale.

i hope Biggles gets better :flowers: and i am glad the harness came in handy!

I don't think an embolism is necessarily a blood clot, Biggles embolism is a tiny bit of cartilage, he's not in any pain thankfully, he has symptoms similar to CDRM, I don't think he on any meds either, it's just a wait and see.

I don't think an embolism is necessarily a blood clot, Biggles embolism is a tiny bit of cartilage, he's not in any pain thankfully, he has symptoms similar to CDRM, I don't think he on any meds either, it's just a wait and see.

Probably not what you want to hear, but one my training club lost a young retriever to that.

She lost the use of one back leg completely and the other was not very good. The only option was to remove the paralysed leg, but there was no way the other leg would support her.

Probably not what you want to hear, but one my training club lost a young retriever to that.

She lost the use of one back leg completely and the other was not very good. The only option was to remove the paralysed leg, but there was no way the other leg would support her.

So far I don't think there's been any mention of amputation, it wouldn't be an option for Biggles anyway, he's so sore on his front legs. I think it is just one leg thats effected with Biggles too, my friend mentioned that it if it didn't heal she would consider a cart for him, given his age and mobility problems though, I'm not sure unsure.gif

Thanks for that Gnasher, I'll pass the link onto her flowers.gif

I was with Biggles this morning in the vets and the vet feels he's made a bit on an improvement over the weekend, and I must say, he didn't seem in the least bit bothered by it .wub.gif