UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Books Versus E-Readers

JulesB

Does that mean you can use library books that are in EPUB format on the Kindle now?

I used to buy 1-2 books every week, but since getting my Sony e-reader and joining several libraries that have e-book sections (Bromley is my latest discovery, which also gives access to Bexley and Lewisham e-book libraries biggrin.gif) I have only actually bought one book - so I reckon my reader has paid for itself and more!

I was put off the Kindle because at the time it didn't support EPUB or PDF books, but it sounds as though that's no longer the case?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that mean you can use library books that are in EPUB format on the Kindle now?

I used to buy 1-2 books every week, but since getting my Sony e-reader and joining several libraries that have e-book sections (Bromley is my latest discovery, which also gives access to Bexley and Lewisham e-book libraries biggrin.gif) I have only actually bought one book - so I reckon my reader has paid for itself and more!

I was put off the Kindle because at the time it didn't support EPUB or PDF books, but it sounds as though that's no longer the case?

Kindle definately supports pdf as I have a couple of books in pdf format on mine and they read just fine, I don't think it supports EPUB though, thats not an issue if you "own" them as they can be converted to MOBI or pdf, but you cant do that with borrowed books.

You'd be surprised at the number of books there are out there which can be downloaded for free ... like all things some are legal and some are not ...

Top TIP for KIndles - you WILL need at least 1 case (I've bought 2) do NOT bother with the riddiculously expensive Amazon ones (£50!!) if you like that style of cover there are generic ones around on amazon and ebay for a fraction of that price however the issue with a lot of the covers is that they work like a book cover i.e. they are always on the kindle and if it's in your bag bit of dirt and dust and stuff can get in, I've bought a padded neoprene zipped case for when I want to take my kindle anywhere in my bag, but for day to day around the house I've bought a faux leather sleeve that I can just slip it in and out of easily which protects it from dust and scratches but doesnt have to be attatched to the kindle in anyway. The 2 bags together only came to £12 inc postage.

Minor gripe about the kindle is that the only way to change their hiddeous screensavers is to "hack" the kindle software which invalidates the warantee so I'm not going to bother and with the sleeve I can't see them anymore :laugh: