UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Motivation - Exercise

murtle

oops where did the motivation go...we got moved to page 2 :flowers:

Well, this week hasn't been good as I've done no running, so I am off out in a moment to try and catch up a little.

Apparently I need to run slower, so I can run for longer...so fingers crossed...

So how is everyone else doing?

Mxxx

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buzzing...been for a 2 mile run, tomorrow is the start of the 3mile runs - only a week behind!

However, OH came and met me on his way back from his bike ride and was motivating me. Tomorrow he is riding alongside me for my 3mile run! I am nervously excited about it!

Mags, well done on teaching yourself to swim that is really good. :flowers:

Griff, yes pacemaker could be a term to use... ;-) actually he is very encouraging and motivating so he is really helping.

Spins - good luck, it's hard trying to get back to where you were, but it will happen!

My good news is that I ran (albeit slow running) my 1.9mile circuit last night! I didn't stop once - my time was no different to when I do stop, but now my head knows I can do it hopefully I can do it a bit quicker, especially as I had proper sprint energy left in me at the end (normally my legs are jelly and my lungs wish they were!)

This weekend I have to extend the amount of time I spend out so guess the route is about to get longer!!

Thank you all for your support it does help :flowers:

Apparently I need to run slower, so I can run for longer...so fingers crossed...

I have often wondered whether slower and not stopping is better than faster with walking breaks, sounds like it is.

Well done on getting all the way round :flowers: It really does become mental strengh as well as fitness, I know last time I started running I really struggled until one day I managed to get all the way round without stopping (probably mind somewhere else!) after that I just did it everytime without thinking too much about it.

I have been getting on okay until this week when i've had some kind of weird bug which was like flu that wouldn't come out, but I have been so tired I haven't wanted to walk let alone run :rolleyes: But back to it on Monday, my block is about 2 miles and I was managing to run most of it with one little power walk section, not looking forward to starting again on Monday though.

Im really proud to say that in the last three weeks I have lost 8lbs so very chuffed with that and hopefully Loki will be too, although he was so norty at xc training that I think maybe the extra lbs would have been handy to slow him down :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Clare that is brilliant, you are doing very well.

EAD - I too don't have weight to lose but it's nice seeing some of the flabbier bits tighten up (if a little painful)

This long weekend I have managed to do a 5 mile run on Saturday, followed by just under 3mmiles on Sunday and the 5 mile run again on Monday.

All in all I have run for over about 2.5hours - I am tired but motivated!

Edited by murtle

Ok, a little more confident now about being able to run at all, so have set up a fundraising page

http://www.justgiving.com/MaryGordon-Cumming000Wilson

any pennies would be greatly received by Dogstar Foundation, and will help boost my moral through the training runs.

Tonight is my night off, and have been given a glass of wine :flowers: tomorrow is run time again though!

So come on peeps, who is doing what in the world of exercise??!

Mxxx

Well done :biggrin:

I've done bugger all recently. Had some virus thing that has sucked all energy out of me, not helped by being unable to take sick leave due to no one else in the world being able to cover for me apparently as all of europe goes on holiday in august it seems.

Still feeling a lot better now, and have a new plan to get into a better habit - exercising everyday. I'm going to start going running everyday even if it is only for 10mins. I read an article recently saying it is much harder to build a habit when you only do something 3/4 times a week that it would be easier if you did it everyday. So that's the new plan. Already going to be scuppered this weekend as I'm up at Yorkshire again, although I will take some running gear as if I can sleep on site in the college car park I might be able to grab a shower in one of the blocks......

ETA: Then once I have the habit of running each day and it's not such hard work I can add in the cycling and swimming and really get going again.

Edited by khanu

Sorry to hear you have been poorly :flowers:

Glad you are on the mend, and hope you will be running fit soon :biggrin:

The way I do it is I go to work, and as soon as I walk in the door - drop bags and change into running outfit and out I go.

On weekends, OH cooks me toast, then I get an hour to relax and off we go!

I do get quite excited as my fitness is improving to actually going out, to begin with it was absolutely hideous.

So today, I have had beans on toast and a veggie sausage and am looking forward to my run later today.

Body is very tired and trying to quickly recuperate from all the running I have been trying, but hopefully tonight won't be too bad. :ohmy:

I *might* be doing another 1/2 marathon next year :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you're doing great Mary.

I managed to go swimming once last week and then came down with a terrible dose but I'm getting over it so will commence back next week.

Borrowing a bike from a friend never happened so OH bought me an exercise bike for my birthday (don't worry he's not deserving of a slap, I asked him to get it for me lol). I did 5k in 11 minutes this morning, I wasn't really pushing myself too hard. I did another 5k this afternoon but managed to press the wrong button and wiped my time, I wouldn't mind but I *was* pushing myself this time :mad: So plan is 5k twice a day for the moment.

I find that when taking the dogs for a walk, it ends up as a stroll. Hubby goes to a walking track and I'm going to start joining him on that. It's just over 3 miles. Tomorrow hopefully will be the start of that, unfortunately I won't be able to go every day but I'll do it as often as I can.

I'm now 8 weeks off the cigs and a stone heavier so action is needed.

This all sounds great written down :laugh: :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

2.41hours....13.1miles all completed...the hill was hellish, cripplingly hellish :mecry:

Missing a week training because of a cold was pants, but feel for starting on the 1st August, not too bad! I now have a good base to continue training on...yup signed up to the Reading half marathon, though between miles 4 and 5 today I drafted a cancellation note in my mind! The reading is flat, I will double check as I was told this one was flat till the hill...no it wasn't it was undulating for 3 miles!

I also have two pairs of trainers as my first set crippled me in my practise run after 10 miles, these ones seem to have been better (saucony (sp)!

Will look at shorter runs for a while and see how I can improve my speed!

Thank you for your support and sponsorship, it has been fabulous to know you were rooting for me!

:flowers:

Well done to everyone for motivating themselves to take the healthy option and excercise.

Can anyone advise the best type of excercise for me. I'm no longer a spring chicken (i.e. 58 ) but have taken up horse riding again after a break of 30 years. I am loving it but find I am very stiff in my thighs and I need to do something to enable me to become more flexible and supple. I would like to lose my tummy too! I had thought about Pilates but not sure if that would achieve my aim.