UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Anyone Have Experience Of Auto-Immune Disease

Clare

We have had a rollercoaster of a weekend with Murphy, resulted in him being diagnosed with what I think is termed as auto-immune disease. From blood tests taken yesterday the vet thinks his immune system is breaking down his red blood cells and that is why he is showing as being anemic. He has had xrays today to eliminate tumours which thankfully were all clear.

Murf hasn't been himself for a good few months, just very subtle slowing down and being fussy with his food, but for a 13.5yr old with arthritus we didn't think too much of it to start with. It also coincided with a tumour on his gum, this was removed 18 months ago but came back recently and was removed again 10 days ago along with his tooth and some bone as it was infected at the root.

We hoped Murf would pick up after this but he didn't hence going back to the vet yesterday.

Does anyone have experience of auto-immune disease they could share? My problem is that my OH doesn't believe he has this, and thinks low red blood count is common after surgery, and that the vet is too ready to dish out the drugs. He is really unhappy at the high dose of steriods we have to give Murf :(

I have a good relationship with the vet, he has always avoided drugs where possible in the past and I do trust him and know he has a huge soft spot for Murf :wub:

I may be a bit complient but I think what my vet says makes sense and although I try to avoid the use of drugs whereever possible I do believe in some situations they are necessary and if Murf comes back to himself as a result of taking these steroids then that would be wonderful, if he doesn't then other tests will need to be done and he won't be taking them anymore.

Am I being a bit dim or does this sound reasonable, I really could do with his support not throwing his toys out the pram, but we've both had a stressful 48 hours so hopefully things will be better in the morning :rolleyes:

I would be so grateful to hear any experiences of auto-immune disease, especially the symptons and the treatment options :flowers:

Yes I think it is something we will look at, as well as herbal remedies which I have had massive success with for my horse, but we need to get him stablised right now and have to rely on my vet at the moment :flowers:

i have been dealing with an autoimmune problem with my dog for the past year, laneys started with a swelling on his elbow..we did rest metacam xrays etc, he had some fluid samples taken and they found blood and clots in his fluid... the vet then referred him at my request for an arthrosocpy to ensure his cartlidge was intact.... we found that all was ok on that score so he began steroids at a high dose...long story short he got better..we weaned him off steroids he got ill again...we went back on steroids and for the past year he has been on them constantly sometimes only twice a week, he was diagnosised with poly arthritis and the way my vet explained it was laneys immune system has gone haywire and it doesn't recognise certain parts of him to be him..... the latest part to be attacked is his paw pads, this began after surgery to repair his torn ligaments, so far we have avoided the biopsies on his pads but he will need to get them done at some point. my dog is only 5 so was 4 when all of this was diagnosed and he had an undiagnosed episode at the age of 2, i won't lie and say i am happy with him being on steroids but they do a wonderful job.... it is dreadful when they are on the high doses at the start, they seem very lethargic and i would expect some accidents with regarding wees as they increase their water intake..also the appetite is a huge issue and don't give in and give them more food as they gain weight on steroids (we use raw carrots to fill my boy up)my lad is currently on 1 steroid a day and i will hopefully be able to get him back down to 1 twice a week again... we will then try to withdraw them and hopefully at some point he will be steroid free until the next flare up, there was somebody on here who invited me to join a support group on yahoo (if you do a search on my posts you should find it...ask the person to invite you to join their group)

i fully understand your OH concerns with using steroids for Murf, perhap he could talk to the vet..go through his issues and hopefully the vet would be able to put his mind at rest, best of luck and hope Murf is soon feeling a bit perkier

Lucy had auto immune problems.

It was a different kind. (symetrical lupoid onchodystrophy) sp? But the treatment was with high doses of steroids until it was under control. I kept her on herbal treatment which helped to keep her particular strain mostly under control, with the occasional dose of steroids.

Lucy was also one of the strange dogs that actually lost weight on steroids.

Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif to all of you.

Edited by greys mum

Thank you for sharing your experiences :flowers:

Have you thought of consulting a holistic/ homeopathic vet?

Can anyone recommend a holistic vet I could speak to :flowers: , I guess I would need a referal from my vet.

Those that have used steroids could you tell me roughly how long they took to take effect? From what the vet said I thought they would help quite quickly, but Murf is no better possibly a bit more depressed, and now has a upset tummy and has been on them five days.

Thank you for sharing your experiences :flowers:

Can anyone recommend a holistic vet I could speak to :flowers: , I guess I would need a referal from my vet.

Those that have used steroids could you tell me roughly how long they took to take effect? From what the vet said I thought they would help quite quickly, but Murf is no better possibly a bit more depressed, and now has a upset tummy and has been on them five days.

Yes, absolutely, Mark Carpenter in Beaconsfield

Mr M Carpenter VetMFHom (1997) Straid Veterinary Hospital, 121 Station Road, Beaconsfield, Bucks HP9 1LH 01494 673101

Mark is a homoeopath and acupuncturist, but also a conventional vet (because he can't make a living just doing the holistic stuff), so he is able to talk sensibly about the options. When I took Tiger he had acupuncture, and we talked diet quite a lot, and he referred us to a chiropractor. It helps that he is just a lovely man, and adores his own dogs (who are labradoodle rescues).

with laney, i notice his appetite returning after 2 days or so... the lethargy is a side effect of the steroids, i don't notice he is perkier until i begin weaning him off the steroids, the upset tummy is likely to be a side effect of the steroids but perhaps a quick phonecall to the vet to reassure you would help :flowers: i must admit to you the first time laney was on steroids i sat and cried and questioned if it was fair to my dog to keep him like that.... i persevered and now when he goes on the high dose steroids it is shocking at his depressed state but not as scary as the first time, as i say, call your vet (he won't mind) explain your concerns and see what he says :flowers:

Yes, absolutely, Mark Carpenter in Beaconsfield

Mr M Carpenter VetMFHom (1997) Straid Veterinary Hospital, 121 Station Road, Beaconsfield, Bucks HP9 1LH 01494 673101

Mark is a homoeopath and acupuncturist, but also a conventional vet (because he can't make a living just doing the holistic stuff), so he is able to talk sensibly about the options. When I took Tiger he had acupuncture, and we talked diet quite a lot, and he referred us to a chiropractor. It helps that he is just a lovely man, and adores his own dogs (who are labradoodle rescues).

Thank you :flowers:

Thanks Griff :flowers: Murf was lethargic and depressed before the steriods, I was hoping to see an improvement once on them, but sounds like that may not be the case until things level up. Should be speaking to my vet soon as he should have the more detailed blood results.

Ah just had an interesting phone call with the vet.

Great news is that more indepth blood tests have shown he does not have auto-immune disease, but a virus, I now have to go and pick up some antibiotics and wean him gently off the steriods.

It is fantastic news and certainly something I feel a whole lot more confident in dealing with but I am left a bit :unsure: that he has had all sorts of stressful invasive tests and been put on a large dose of steroids for no reason (and I won't mention what the stomach taps, xrays, etc has all costs being over a bank holiday weekend as well :ohmy: )

I am very relieved though, thank you for all your support :)