UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Anyone Going To Crufts?

Wendbert

Wiggle has been invited to go to Crufts :biggrin:

After having had such a good day at Discover Dogs last year, The Kennel Club Charitable Trust has invited Labrador Rescue South East & Central to attend Crufts on the Sunday, Gundog Day. It's a fantastic opportunity for us as a rescue to promote rescue Labrador's so Wiggle will be there, with Sofy and some more of our lovely rescue'd Lab's.

If you're at Crufts on Sunday, please come along and say hello :)

I wish I liked the place but unfortunately I hate it. I cant bear crowds, I can buy most of the toys wholesale, and I get most of the other stuff sent to the kennels via catalogue anyway. I dont really care whether a Fantasa or Debasher rottweiler wins as all my dogs are second hand rejects and I will never buy a pedigree. I can really appreciate why people like going, but I just cant get up any enthusiasm for it :(

I went once a few years ago and I wouldn't have bothered going again - pretty much same reasons as you, Di.

However, to be able to show the general public that rescue dogs are just as good as the pampered pooches is a great opportunity for us as a rescue. At Discover Dogs, I was really surprised by the number of people we saw who said they didn't know you could get a pure breed dog in rescue.

As a direct result of Discover Dogs, Wiggle alone gained another 3 sponsors, which for a rescue relying on donations is not to be sniffed at :wink:

I can understand rescues going if they can get free space to advertise and promote rescue dogs etc but I understand most rescues still have to pay for a stand which is a bit unfair

The Kennel Club Chartable Trust told me in no uncertain terms that Dogstar was not at all eligable for help and assitance from them so I doubt we are going to be offered a free spot anytime soon laugh.gif

I will take my scabby street dogs and sulk on the not invited step :biglaugh:

Sam

I went once a few years ago and I wouldn't have bothered going again - pretty much same reasons as you, Di.

However, to be able to show the general public that rescue dogs are just as good as the pampered pooches is a great opportunity for us as a rescue. At Discover Dogs, I was really surprised by the number of people we saw who said they didn't know you could get a pure breed dog in rescue.

As a direct result of Discover Dogs, Wiggle alone gained another 3 sponsors, which for a rescue relying on donations is not to be sniffed at :wink:

I wouldnt even begin to knock what Crufts can do for rescues and if the RGT said Merseyside branch had a day on a stall and would I go, Id do my best to promote greyhounds for them. Its just the whole environment as a 'shopper' or 'spectator' that turns me off. I think its the crowds more than anything that I just cant handle :wacko:

I wish I liked the place but unfortunately I hate it. I cant bear crowds, I can buy most of the toys wholesale, and I get most of the other stuff sent to the kennels via catalogue anyway. I dont really care whether a Fantasa or Debasher rottweiler wins as all my dogs are second hand rejects and I will never buy a pedigree. I can really appreciate why people like going, but I just cant get up any enthusiasm for it :(

I can understand this. I go to crufts most years, but never watch the showing or judging, I like to go and watch the flyball & agility, particularly the rescue agility. There are a good number of greyhound rescues there which is great and I began supporting Animals Asia after visiting crufts and seeing the most horrific video of cats & dogs in Asia. I usually come home laden with goodies for the dogs too, which is a bonus!

Oooooo, oooo, Ooooooooooo!

I've managed to get a last-minute ticket for the World Cup Obedience, which is, on SUNDAY!!!

Think I'll be getting the train though, a tenner just to park is a bit too rich for me :laugh:

Whereabouts will you be?

Sorry, I didn't see this thread.

I was going to be cheeky and ask if I could travel up with anyone if I covered petrol costs as I wanted to help out on the Oldies Club stall, but my ex-foster dog is coming back to me now so I won't be able to go anyway.

I dont really care whether a Fantasa or Debasher rottweiler wins as all my dogs are second hand rejects and I will never buy a pedigree.

I agree with you and often find myself cringing at the 'serious competitor' types, but I think it is a good opportunity for the attending charities to promote their work and raise some funds.