UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Introducing A Second Guinea Pig?

cheryl33

Hello

I got Tarquin guinea pig a few weeks ago from a girl at work and he's a lovely little thing, although quite nervous as he hadn't been handled before.

I am looking at getting a friend for him as I've always had guinea pigs in pairs and obviously thats what most people recommend.

Now, what do I do? Tarquin is abour 6 months old and not neutered. I'm going to contact a coupe of rescues up here but just want some advice before I do!

So do I go for a boy around the same age or one that is younger? How do I introduce them? What happens if they don't get on?

thanks! x

An un-neutered adult male is going to be harder to introduce another male to than if you went for nuetering him and getting him a female companion. It's not that it "can't" be done but it is going to be harder - it will help if neither male has ever been with a female. Intros should always been done on neutral territory giving both plenty of space to be able to get away from each other - some form of "fighting" & posturing is pretty standard but provided they don't draw blood or look really serious then it should eventually settle down. Same age or younger is best - a younger male is going to be less of a threat however there could still be some bickering as the younger one matures and tries to assert himself.

They will need to be kept apart for the first few days meeting up only on nuetral ground - once they start playing trains and popcorning then they should be safe to put together in the cage/hutch which sould be cleaned first then some old bedding from BOTH of their previous cages put in with them.

Do you have any rescues locally who might have a young male piggie looking for a companion? If you can find a rescue that does the introductions that's often a good thing too as they put them on neutral territory to start with.

If you do decide to get Tarquin neutered, make sure that you find a vet with lots of piggie neutering experience. Again a local rescue might be able to recommend a good vet.

Bet Tarquin will really appreciate a companion!

• 1 month later...