UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Anal Abcesses?

K9Fran

My boss has a lovely 4 year old Dalmatian. Yesterday,almost as they watched, she developed an abscess to the left hand side below her tail. IT has been drained, but she's still feeling very sorry for herself (although she has at least taken her anti biotics when Aunty Fran hand fed her them in some tinned Tuna warmed in the microwave). The wound is about 2cm long, and the tissue around it is very bruised. The vets aren't 100% sure it's caused by her anal glands - at first they thought it was a bite, but couldn't find an entry point :( She has suffered with her glands in the past, but it's not something any of my dogs have had.

Does anyone have any info? Healing thoughts wouldn't go amiss either.

My old Molly Greyhound had a horrible abscess at the base of her tail. 3 courses of antibiotics didn't seem to have any effect at all and the vet was being quite gloomy talking about a perianal fistula, which is a chronic and very unpleasant condition.

I started treating it with Manuka Honey, it began to heal within a few days and was gone within a week and we had no further problems. Obviously I don't know if this dog has the same condition, but perhaps they could ask their vet if Manuka Honey might be appropriate to try alongside whatever other treatment the dog is getting?

My old Molly Greyhound had a horrible abscess at the base of her tail. 3 courses of antibiotics didn't seem to have any effect at all and the vet was being quite gloomy talking about a perianal fistula, which is a chronic and very unpleasant condition.

I started treating it with Manuka Honey, it began to heal within a few days and was gone within a week and we had no further problems. Obviously I don't know if this dog has the same condition, but perhaps they could ask their vet if Manuka Honey might be appropriate to try alongside whatever other treatment the dog is getting?

Fee thank you so much, I have some Manuka Honey in my cupboard!

Humphrey had an abscess at the base of his tail once, quite hard to find under his triple coat. It did clear with one course of ABs.

Healing thoughts for the dally, and hoping her abscess clears up just as quickly.

Thanks for all the help, she's looking a bit brighter today, moving more easily. The wound is still draining, mostly clear 'stuff' but just a trace of something more yukky occasionally.

She's not really eating, but happy to take her tablets from Aunty Fran if they are crushed and mixed in some warmed through tuna. She's drinking a lot too. Next vets appt tomorrow @ 09.30