UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Behavioural Changes In Older Dog

KathyM

Any ideas of what I need to be prepared for the possibility of? I'm beginning to wonder if senility is the good option. :unsure: She doesn't seem to be displaying any signs of health problems. Her joints are fairly good at the moment (she's had problems with her neck in the past). I've caught her just standing staring at the floor, almost like an absence in epilepsy, but she's not having any other symptoms of that. It's like she's forgotten what she was doing. The "going" for the guinea pigs is just so unlike her - it's not like she's after killing them but just shoves her head through the hutch like a puppy who doesn't "know" them. She "forgot" about half a bowl of food too - turned around to pay attention to something then forgot to go back to it. When she saw it again it was like it had just been put out - nothing normally distracts her from food and it seriously reminded me of my Nanna when she used to (through Alzheimer's) come back from a posh meal out and set the table for tea because she'd forgotten.

Baz says the more we watch her the more we see her getting old, and I don't know if that's because something's genuinely going on or because we're looking out for it. If it's not senility and she's not showing signs of illness, I can't think of anything else. Unless she's just doing it to spite us lol.

I've just had a quick Google and found this which might be of help.

I've been trying to find out what the magic ingredient is in Hills BD but so far have drawn a blank, the only thing I found which made me go err.gif is that in their trials for the food they used 24 older dogs and 16 younger ones, wouldn't a more accurate picture be obtained by using the same number of dogs worried_anim.gif, it suggests to me that the research has been carried out in such a way as to make the food seem more effective than it really is, if you could find out what the magic ingredients were, you could probably buy them independently and at better quality for cheaper, I'm guessing BD will be pricey, but of course, I may just be being a suspicious old mare shiftyeyes_anim.gif

Here we go Hills , depending on how much it is I think you'd do better using separate supplements, the anti-oxidents you could get anywhere, there are loads, and because they don't specify which ones they use you have no way of knowing what the quality is, Grape Seed Extract is one of the most effective ones you can buy, Co-ezyme Q 10 is another excellent one, helps protect and repair cells, you can buy L- carnitine in Holland & Barratt's , since it comes way down the ingredients list at 42, there will only be a tiny amount in the food, Tryptophan (makes seratonin) can also be bought in health food shops, these are just the ones I can pick out off the top off my head as being useful for age related behaviour changes. I'm not trying to put you off buying the Hills, just making you aware that it's possible to get the same results in a more cost effective fashion. flowers.gif

Kathy, I know in humans that having a water infection can cause odd behavour and forgetfulness in older people. I wonder if that applies to dogs too? It could be any number of things I suppose, many of them simple. It maybe that you are now just noticing her behaviour because you are watching her. Giving her the supplements can't do her any harm anyway if she is getting older. Let us know how you get on at the vets. :GroupHug: :flowers:

ps where did you find that avatar please? I know a lady that would LOVE that!