UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Im Taking The Plunge Into The Horsey World...

cabbagepatch88

Hello everyone,

As the title suggests, im very excited as I have a horse coming on Saturday!

Ive recently got back into horses after a 5 year break (A-levels and University!) and in September/October I had a 15hh Piebald Cob called Trooper on share who I was seeing 3 days a week. Unfortunately the owner decided to sell him and has gotten herself a 14.2 Connemara which is a bit small for me!

So I got talking with a friend who I do Agility with and she has an 18 year old fleabitten grey TB X called Earl. She's had him 5 years but in the last 6 months due to lack of time shes put him on full livery at the yard and also as part of an 'Equine Share' scheme where basically people pay a fortune to come and ride him a couple of times a week and pretend he's their horse. He's got about 3 or 4 'sharers' who are all beginners and is being plodded round the school twice a day which he hates, and would much rather be out hacking. She feels massively guilty about it and is absoloutly desperate to get him out of the situation.

So, I offered him a 'happy hacker' home and she's accepted. Unfortunately the yard where I had Trooper (5 min drive from my house and backs straight on to the common) has no spaces so I got searching for others in the area. Ive managed to find a quiet friendly yard with only 1 other pony there currently, 6 acres of post and rail fenced paddocks, sand school and 5 stables and less than 10 minutes from my house. The yard owner lives next door to the yard and is really friendly and laid back. You can also hack from there round a lake with lovely bridlepaths etc.

He's coming to me on a full loan for a year, but hopefully if things go well that'll be extended. And if all goes to plan he should be arriving with me on Saturday :) Any pearls of wisdom will be greatfully received!

Sam

Earl sounds fantastic, congratulations :biggrin: I am sure he will think he has won the lottery going from his current situation to a one to one home where he will be spoilt rotten.

Look forward to hearing all your updates and of course pictures.

No words of wisdom, just enjoy!

Sorry for missing this great news!

Seems like an ideal situation :thumbsup_still:

Details though please (as well as pics :laughingsmiley: )

Does Earl live in/out, what's he like.....

Pearl of wisdom would be that horses have the most amazing ability to constantly teach you and you never stop learning about them! Oh and for this weather definitely stock up on marigolds because the times I've cleared ice out the trough and thought I was getting frostbite = it's just not funny :grrr: :laughingsmiley: :laughingsmiley:

WELCOME :))))))))))))))))

Does Earl live in/out, what's he like.....

Earl is very easy going. Infact thats one of the reasons he's taken advantage of at the stables now, because he'll do anything for anyone. He'd never nap, rear, buck...but he's very lazy to ride - his favourite pace is halt! He does enjoy hacking though and seems much more spritely when hes out and about. He's not allowed to jump as he broke his leg in early 2008, he got kicked by a mare after he was pestering her!

His owner told me a bit of his history. She said he was brought over from Ireland when he was 10 and has been through various ownders until he ended up at a riding school where she met him. She had him on share and fell in love with him so brought him off the riding school in 2005. She said that before she took him on he belonged to the owner of the riding school and she did dressage with him (I briefly got some leg yielding out of him when I tried him!). His owner also believes he hunted whilst he was in Ireland because when she took him hunting herself he was uncontrolable and a completely different beast!

At the moment he's used to living in during the day (for the convenience of him being ridden) and out during the night. I will be keeping him at grass DIY livery so he will be living out 24/7. For the first week he's with me he'll be stabled overnight until he gets used to his surroundings properly.

Thanks everyone, im sure I will need quite a bit of help! Ive had 2 horses on share before but this is the first time ive taken on a horse full time...im very excited about making a friendship with Earl and learning more about him and horsey stuff as I go along.. :)

Wow! He sounds lovely. Good luck Sam and let me know if you need any help but I think he may be one very happy horseflowers.gif

Hi Di,

Thank you! Its all very exciting. Ive just got back from the yard and have got all his stuff ready. All his stable is made up - bed, haynets and water buckets, and have been sorting through the huge collection of rugs, boots, feeding stuff, first aid equipment etc that are coming with him - and theres still more to come tomorrow! Feed is all in the feed bins ready to go.

He should be with me at 11am tomorrow :) Lets hope the weather stays as beautiful as it is today...

(P.S Di Thank You for your lovely Christmas Card, Khan is extremely handsome! Theres a post in Doggie Chat about Monty's recent Birthday if you havnt already seen it - 8 years old already - time goes so quickly..)