UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mollydog'S Timing Really Sucks

cycas

Was just walking the dogs, and took a look at Mollydog's operation scar on the back of her leg, as usual. I noticed that she seemed to be favoring the leg a little more than normal, and then noticed a small but suspicious bulge on the side of her leg a little way below the scar. It is obviously tender, bald and slightly soft to the touch.

Feeling the leg, it's definitely warmer than the other one. It looks very much like a small abcess. :mecry: I went straight to the vet in the hope of catching them before they close, but it was too late, they are closed till Tuesday now.

It is a small bulge and she's obviously not in great pain, she'll let me touch it and is putting weight on the leg still, so I am cautiously thinking probably not worth dragging the emergency vet out on Christmas eve for. Obviously will be keeping a close eye on the dratted thing. I wish I had some access to antibiotics, I have Metacam and various things for cleaning wounds, but nothing for treating an abcess.

Oh no, what a worry, why do dogs always choose the worst possible moment to get ill or injured? I think I'd probably do the same as you, keep a very close eye on her but wait and see for now.

Do you have any Manuka Honey? If the abscess bursts :sick01: that would help clear up any infection.

Lots of good thoughts for Mollydog that it's something that will clear up on its own, or at least not bother her before the vet re-opens!

I don't have any Manuka honey or echinacea- ironically was looking at the honey in a shop only just before Christmas but decided not to buy some, mistake!

She managed to pop the dratted thing yesterday. I had some antibiotic ointment over from her op, so I stuck that on it but it keeps bleeding. But it's not noticeably causing problems at the moment - she is still enjoying her walks, though she does limp a bit. So, that's me off to the vet on Mon (and next time I'm in that shop I WILL buy some manuka honey...)

Glad the bad stuff found a way out - well done Mollydog!

Funny you saying that about the vets (I had no idea it was a BH) because I was going to phone early to get an appt for Ted's booster tomorrow. As they're a hospital that might have annoyed the nurse who answered :laugh: