UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cecil And The Mobile Phone

Pendlewitch

Cecil is on a new medication for his arthritis and it's proved really successful, he is much more active. He is belting off after other dogs and once out of his hearing range I've no chance, he just does not hear me. I do keep him on the lead a lot but he does so like to have a run I feel guilty for restricting him. I tried a vibrating collar but in spite of replacement parts for all of it it never worked so I had a brilliant idea, cheap mobile, teach him that the ring tone means sausages, attatch it to his collar and off we go. If he gets out of range then I ring him! :biggrin: Now this sounds like a super solution to me but there has to be a down side to my cunning plan. :unsure: Please tell me your thoughts!

Sophie has her own mobile  :blush:

She used to have a terrible habit of running off and finding a rabbit hole she liked the look of, and lying down outside it waiting for the rabbits to come out  :rolleyes:  Once she'd found herself a hole, she would not come away from it - no amount of calling would bring her back.  So it was a matter of hunting for her until you found her, and clipping her on lead.  She always seemed quite relieved when we came to take her away from the hole - as if she wanted to come back but couldn't.  The issue was, it could take ages to find her - I think the longest was 8 hours looking for her.  It was very frustrating - we'd be exhausted from tramping everywhere looking, and she'd have been happily lying down the whole time  :rolleyes:  She did it infrequently enough that it didn't seem fair to keep her on lead all the time.  So I bought her a cheap pay as you go mobile phone, but it in a water proof case, and attached it to her harness.  The theory was I could then ring her up (ring tone was set to the loudest possible), and be able to hear where she was.  I tested round the house that she wasn't spooked by the ringing (she's a bit of a nervy girl).  Once she was fine with it, we took her out.  Never got to use it though - she suddenly reformed, and is now not out of our sight for more than a minute  :rolleyes:

Anyway - that was a long way of saying I think it could work.

After thinking it through I've realised that because of the time it takes to get a connection to the mobile Cecil could already be getting into trouble so I've gone for a walkie talkie, hopefully I'll be then talking in his ear and he won't have any excuses, well maybe, knowing Cecil! :laugh:

My next trick is for him to wear a vest thingy to say he is deaf, I've found a bandana at £15 on Bonniedogs but think it may crumple or slip round, any other ideas would be super! :biggrin:

Edited twice for shocking typos!

Edited by Pendlewitch

I've found Zazzle and the Spreadshirt, both good but I can't get Cecil in a t shirt, he won't have his legs picked up. Then I found Thankful Paws, an American site that do deaf, blind, shy dog apparel. They do a huge range of clothing and collar covers, all are really well marked with whatever the problem is, a tad expensive though. Well more than a tad but just what I had in mind. I'm thinking about it! :biggrin: