UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cat Owners

Rileyroo

Forgive the intrusion from someone who's more usually to be found talking about dogs on the doggie chat board, but I'm doing an MSc in Clinical Animal Behaviour and as part of that we are carrying out a survey about people and their cats.

We would be grateful if you would consider giving us your views by completing the questionnaire that can be found here: Cat Owners Questionnaire

The information that we receive will be treated as anonymous and confidential and we thank you for your assistance.

fugeerock.png

I started filling this in, but I can't complete it for 2 reasons:

1) I have 6 cats: the form validation asks for ages of all 6, but only has one field for cats 3-6, and won't let me separate the ages with a comma or anything.

2) when I skipped that field to get to page 2, it was a page of questions with multiple choice answers that apply to my views on general cat ownership, NOT my treatment of my own cats. I didnt' feel that I was able to accurately give my views on this page, and I suspect you are going to get a biased sample because many people will give up at that point as none of the options fit

In particular I have a problem with:

Cats do not need any outdoor access : disagree - agree - strongly agree - strongly disagree.

I think this is a bad question because it doesn't define 'need', nor does it take into account the fact that cats are highly variable in terms of behaviour and needs. I have one that really could not care less about going out, but I also own cats that would be a real problem and likely to be very unhappy if kept entirely indoors.

For comparison, dogs don't 'need' to be walked, in the sense that adog that is kennelled and not walked will not die as a result, but most people would agree that for many, though not all dogs, it is highly desirable that they get regular walks.

I don't like the question about views on lifespan either because they won't allow me to say what I think, which is this:

Yes, I know that taken as an average internationally, indoor only cats live longer, but this is at least partly because the owners of indoor only cats that fill in surveys tend to be pretty damn dedicated as owners.

If, for example, you have an indoor only cat and it takes your sofa apart in boredom and frustration so you shove it out the door for the first time in its little life to be instantly flattened by a truck, then not only are you unlikely to fill in a survey to say so - but if you did, the poor beast would register as a statistic to say that outdoor cats are more at risk, even though the real reason for the animal being killed was the fact that his owner let him down.

The wildlife question I can't answer either - I believe that there are some ecosystems where the domestic cat has been present for a very long time, and is effectively integrated, but there are obviously many ecosystems to which the cat is a newcomer and cats do enormous damage and should either be kept in, or ideally, not kept at all (because if you have a large population of cats in a very delicate ecosystem, it's probably not a good idea to just rely on them not ever getting outside).

I can't answer a question that just asks what I think about the impact on wildlife unless there is some way for me to indicate what wildlife I mean.

Sorry, edited just to say I am not as bolshy as I sound, I know it's hard putting together survey questions in a way that produces meaningful data but also doesn't invite rambling from mad cat ladies. Not that I am just a mad cat lady, I have dogs as well! :laugh:

Edited by cycas

Forgive the intrusion from someone who's more usually to be found talking about dogs on the doggie chat board, but I'm doing an MSc in Clinical Animal Behaviour and as part of that we are carrying out a survey about people and their cats.

We would be grateful if you would consider giving us your views by completing the questionnaire that can be found here: Cat Owners Questionnaire

The information that we receive will be treated as anonymous and confidential and we thank you for your assistance.

fugeerock.png

filled it in but there should be a question about wether or not they sleep on the bed, that would boost the amount of time people spend with cats, all be it you're mostly asleep but the cat gets to spend time with you...not that my cats sleep on the bed every night and seem to take great delight in pouncing on me off the window ledge at 3 am or anything... :laugh:

filled it in but there should be a question about wether or not they sleep on the bed, that would boost the amount of time people spend with cats, all be it you're mostly asleep but the cat gets to spend time with you...not that my cats sleep on the bed every night and seem to take great delight in pouncing on me off the window ledge at 3 am or anything... :laugh:

oh and i'd like a any other comments box too, the opinions on indoor outdoor cats are a bit black and white, if i owned a blind or even deaf cat i probably wouldn't want to let it out. Also it asks for area and only options that apply to me are outskirts of town, with a garden, i think there should be an option for nearby field/ parkland access or something. if you want anymore cat based opinions and the ramblings of a northerner with a bad sense of language are any use, feel free to pm me :biggrin:

I had issues too. I felt the survey was designed with what you expected to find in mind. Also it was aimed (by way of the questions) at only a sub-section of the cat owning population.

Is it too late to use responses so far as a pilot survey? and then redesign and send the final version?

It's not necessarily the questions but the accomanying text, i.e. you should define what you mean by the terms you use such as 'need', plus instruct respondents on how to fill it in by saying something like ("Thinking about cats in general, and not your own cats...").

I would also include an 'other' category for the non-attitudinal questions.

Sorry, bad occupational habit!

Edited by reds

Thanks so much for all the responses, and your comments.

The survey has been piloted and the phrasing / responses of the questions are specific for the purpose of the topic. I'll be happy to share once the data's collected but I don't want to bias any potential responses at this stage. Your thoughts on it are very interesting and much appreciated flowers.gif

Thank you all for taking the time to have a look / fill it in / give useful feedback.

I've filled it in but agree with previous comments that a comment box would have been useful :flowers:

Sparks is an indoor cat now but it is through her choice, she went out as a youngster and now doesn't want to, she will go out if I am out but as soon as I look like I am going near the door she is through it in a flash :wub: :laugh: