UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Horse Riding For Beginners

cheryl33

Hi fugees

Just after a bit of advice. I am starting horseriding lessons on Sat afternoon (only half an hour though) and was just wondering if someone can tell what to expect, how much you pay etc and what to wear?

I've had a couple of goes on OH's mum's horses - they are pretty bomb proof but I am still very inexperienced. I;ve also borrowed her riding kit in the past!

thanks x

If you are learning in a proper setup; you may not even get on a horse for the first lesson , which will cover most of your questions. If you are being taught by someone that once taught me and who is on this forum make sure you hat fits and that you are happy to be shouted at a lot.

Are you having a private lesson or group? Expect to pay about £16, at least that's what I used to pay for my daughter. The riding school may be able to loan you a hat, but make sure it is fits snugly. Best to wear something with a small heel (e,g, wellies) if you haven't got riding boots and don't wear jeans!

Good luck, hope you enjoy it!

Edited by Brenda

Are you going to a riding school? You won't be allowed to ride without a hard hat, so it would probably be a good idea to give them a call to make sure they will provide one and get their advice on what else to wear - particularly footwear (the stables I used to ride with wouldn't allow wellies).

Other than that you'll need to wear close-fitting comfortable trousers or leggings, flat boots with a small heel and avoid anything loose or baggy that will flap around or have buckles etc that could get caught up on the harness or hurt the horse.

If you google a few riding school websites they often have advice on what to wear for lessons.