UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How To Teach Paw?

cheryl33

Does anyone know the best way to do this as neither of my two know how to do it?

Currently we are saying 'paw', picking their paw up and giving them a treat.

Molly grins her staffie smile and rolls over, where as Henry just grumbles (bear in mind I have been trying to teach him this for 4 years)

thanks in anticipation :rolleyes:

Are you clicker training? Or you can use a clicker word.

Put something in your hand that they want, food possibly. .

Put dog in the 'sit' position and hold it out in front of them in a closed fist so they can smell it. Eventually after attempting to get it with the mouth they will resort to pawing in frustrated attempts to get it. Click, treat. Repeat. When they offer the behaviour, add the word, 'paw'.

Thats how I taught mine to do it.

I used a similar method to you, although I pick up the dogs leg before saying 'paw'.

So, I have dog in a sit. Then I take dog's leg and left up saying 'paw'. Then let dog's leg back down. Repeat and repeat. It's worked for us on all the dogs we've had - and I'm no Dog Whisperer!

Try putting something really yummy to them on the floor and cup your hand over it, with a small gap between your fingers , so that they can smell it.

Encourage them to get it, but keep your hand cupped over it, so they can't get it.

Eventually, they should put their paw on your hand to try and paw it out. At that point click and give the treat.

Repeat until the dog is offering the paw without any encouragement. Then start to say 'paw' and as they put their paw on your hand, quickly put your other hand under the paw, so that it lands on it, click and treat.

Repeat until they will put their paw in your upturned hand, offered out to them.

All mine give their Paw enough the Cat :D

But.....It took me 7years :ohmy: to train Cookie my 10 year Old Leonberger. She is normally very bright but, I just got the impression she just couldn't be ar*ed. When she first gave me her paw, I was so shocked I didn't take it :laugh: