UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Getting Broadband Connected

jax39

I have a disabled friend, who is still on dial-up, only reason being he cant do these sort of things himself. His only help is his mum, and as shes quite elderly cant do it for him either. So does anyone know if any of the broadband companies would actually go to his house and set it all up for him? His PC really is his lifeline and it really needs updating. He lives 100s of miles from me so I cant help either. Ive been trying so hard to get him to make some phone calls, but hes a stubborn so and so who hates asking for help!! I know most send you the CD and modem and off you go, anyone any idea?? Many thanks.

BT do, but it costs £88.09 - details here http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25791

There are often local IT peeps who offer installation services which might be cheaper for him however that would mean him making more calls etc. If cost is a factor that might be the way to go as he can shop around for a cheaper broadband deal and installation, however if he's happy to pay a bit of a premium then go with BT for the broadband and installation.

£88? we are known for being tight in Yorkshire you know :wink:

Not sure where he is in the country, whether cost is an issue etc but if so & you have a Council for disabled, a Lions Club - could possibly find you a contact if necessary - (if no Lions club maybe rotary, round table etc could help) there may be someone with sufficent pc knowledge to set up broadband for him from a cd foc.

BT supports Age Concern's Silver Surfers initiative. Not knowing how old your friend is? Age concern assist both older and vulnerable groups.

Does your friend have a local branch that he would be willing to contact? Some will have outreach connections (i.e. either volunteers/staff/a local IT type organisation) that would be able to come and assist your friend. Not sure whether there would be a fee, but would be worth checking out.

Also look in the local paper. Very often ex. BT engs will advertise there.