UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Want To Start Running With My Dog

Heart

I've decided I want to get a bit fitter and thought it would be great to go running with Pixie, as she does run with me when I run (instead of her usual sniffing and rabbit spotting). But instead of staying next to me, after a short while she either runs in front of me and trips me up or runs behind me and bumps against my legs. I don't think she wants me to get fit! :laugh: I'm not sure how to stop her doing this, or should I just give up on the idea?!

But I doubt that would stop her tripping me up! I'm scared to do it in case I tread on her. I know I could go running on my own but I know I'd never do it! I've heard of cani cross and wondered how those people managed to prevent their dogs tripping them up!

(By the way, in case you were thinking it, I haven't been running while she's been on lead).

I've heard of cani cross and wondered how those people managed to prevent their dogs tripping them up!

Your harness and the dogs harness....you are attached, you have a handle, you have control

(By the way, in case you were thinking it, I haven't been running while she's been on lead).

then, that would be your answer :biggrin:

I 'think' that in Canicross the dog is taught to be out front - not exactly pulling but I don't think the dogs are expected to run by the owner's side. I suppose if you want Pixie to run by your side, then it's an issue of training the position you want her to be in, could you spend a couple of weeks just focusing on rewarding her for being in the right position?

I 'think' that in Canicross the dog is taught to be out front - not exactly pulling but I don't think the dogs are expected to run by the owner's side. I suppose if you want Pixie to run by your side, then it's an issue of training the position you want her to be in, could you spend a couple of weeks just focusing on rewarding her for being in the right position?

They can be in front - that's ideal - you want to win

They can be by your side - that's quite a lot, they get tired

They aren't allowed to be behind you, that's disqualification, as you aren't allowed to force on a tired dog, so you have to slow down yourself then.

The easy answer to Heart's dilemma is to run holding her dog on the lead, but this is more comfortable and efficient with a waist belt.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Heart! I run CaniX with my two border collies and it took a wee bit to both train them up in fitness and how to run with me!

We use Ruffwear Webmaster Harnesses and a regular running belt (just because its cheaper) and also with the CaniX harnesses if the dog does back up they can slip out :ohmy:

I also do a lot of hill walking so my guys already understand that on these harnesses they are allowed to go up front and I use a cue for this too (and a hand signal for my little deafie). I started with a basic walk/run plan because I was SO unfit which gave me a perfect opportunity to teach them to stay up front or at least not behind me.

You might have to try out different leash lengths to prevent the tripping up, but bungee leads can help quite a lot too.

One of my dogs (Finn) runs up ahead and pulls really well when asked, the other who is deaf prefers to be tucked in behind Finn and just ahead of me, so I made sure the leads are the right length for that combo.

Do remember that steady pace running with you is actually more work and harder in terms of exercise than the usual running around they would do - so they need to work up to distance as much as you do :cool:

Lots of luck and just shout if you need any help! :flowers: