UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Duke

reds

This is Duke as he is today, with about 10kilos of weight still to lose. He's lost around 20kilos since the laminitis strike. TB, carrying weight certainly (hands up totally to that), but not your classic laminitis candidate? :( . Just a word to the wise really, not to go by stereotypes or stereotypical expectations. Vet does not suspect any drivers other than weight. Couldn't believe it.

dook.jpg

dook1.jpg

dook2.jpg

Excuse the dirty lens!

dook4.jpg

dook5.jpg

Edited by reds

I have seen several TBs that got laminitis, they were very overweight, makes yours look slim even before he lost the weight.

When I was 13 I was asked to exercise a cob mare for an old man, he had been a dealer, so had his father, grandfather etc, and he said one of the best ways of getting a horse over laminitis is exercise but it has to be the right exercise, lots of walking and very little else. When I brought her back I was then expected to ride her through knee deep mud for 5 to 10 minutes. This man reconned this helped get rid of the feaver in her feet by cooling them down. He then washed the mud off, gave them a rub with a towel and left them. It did work but I don't know how or why, I had a lovely summer holiday riding her every day. :laugh:

Will be asking about exercise on Thursday. I can (just about!) lead him round the roads or maybe go up the farm tracks if it doesn't get too muddy (thinking of you when I wrote that Mrs Mop :laugh: ) but he jogs so depends on how much stress the vet thinks his feet will be alright with :unsure:

He is fine now, no heat or lameness and back to normal everyday bute rations. Not pottery or shifting - that's Squeak and bizarrely it's always been Squeak I've worried about getting laminitis.

I can't honestly see how I can get more weight off him without him going too thin and me feeling like a criminal, so am really hoping the vet pulls us out of fat club.

I could bring him in every night if given the all clear but I don't want him to be restricted to his box for most of the day because he would simply be miserable as he's not ridden. He's on an hour of grass a day max. at the moment.

I think he's gorgeous too Pendlewith :flowers: :wub: but doesn't seem to photograph well standing still! Really wishing we had an arena so I could ride him.

Will be asking about exercise on Thursday. I can (just about!) lead him round the roads or maybe go up the farm tracks if it doesn't get too muddy (thinking of you when I wrote that Mrs Mop laugh.gif ) but he jogs so depends on how much stress the vet thinks his feet will be alright with unsure.gif

He is fine now, no heat or lameness and back to normal everyday bute rations. Not pottery or shifting - that's Squeak and bizarrely it's always been Squeak I've worried about getting laminitis.

I can't honestly see how I can get more weight off him without him going too thin and me feeling like a criminal, so am really hoping the vet pulls us out of fat club.

I could bring him in every night if given the all clear but I don't want him to be restricted to his box for most of the day because he would simply be miserable as he's not ridden. He's on an hour of grass a day max. at the moment.

I think he's gorgeous too Pendlewith flowers.gif wub.gif but doesn't seem to photograph well standing still! Really wishing we had an arena so I could ride him.

Could you try a grazing muzzle .... there seems to be a lot of laminitis about this year, people I have spoken to are putting it down to the rain bringing of the fresh shoots very quickly, so a field can look quite sparse but have a lot of fresh shoots coming through....

Judging by the photos, if he looses more weight he will start to look poor, at the moment he looks stunning.

All the riding schools I know all worked their ponies when they had laminitis, they did cut back on the work but all said exercise was the best thing for this. None were worked on roads though, is there somewhere soft underfoot where he can be lead until he has recovered more.

Has he been tested for Cushings? I am saying that because he has the classic body shape.

My pony Shadow is no way fat and he looks under weight and he has been hit again with laminitis but it is because the Cushings is driving itsad.gif

We constantly live on a knife edge with him because of thatsad.gif