UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What'S Happening To Our Emergency Services?

suzeanna

The nurses at the hospital I was in a few years ago were great, overworked but fab. Can't fault them.

They knew more than my GP, who failed to spot what was wrong with me and I ended up being rushed into hospital.

Makes me laugh when the likes of postmen and train drivers go on strike :rolleyes:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any abuse and violence aimed at emergency personnel, nurses etc is unacceptable. But could I just mention the humble care assistant? When I was doing this work (on minimum wage of course) I was slapped, pinched, thumped, thrown to the floor etc in addition to the vilest verbal abuse from clients and their families. No support from management, I was simply told it went with the territory so grow up and stop whingeing. At one home I worked in, any assaults on staff which were recorded in the accident book got tippexed out.

If nurses and paramedics should have respect and protection, so should those further down the ladder.

I haven't at any point said it is acceptable - actually I thought I'd said the opposite.

In Hull I believe it's A&E & the like where they have more problems - I can honestly say that I've never seen any of the staff abused or assaulted whilst I've visited general wards - though I'm not saying it doesn't ever happen.

Inside hospitals, yes I think security or police are options, externally as I said before, self defence, working in pairs etc may be necessary - that's where I see the unions representing staff if management don't act.

Campaigns I'm more sceptical of - practical answers & deterrants will always outdo the media campaignss in my opinion.

Patient wise I agree that Care Assistants also face a very challenging role - and for even less reward (my sister used to do this job)

Personally would I swap roles with a nurse / care assiatnt? No chance, just wouldn;t have the patience for 1 thing. That doesn't however mean that I would see there role as more physically dangerous than the police / fire service, forces etc - jobs that I might want to do.

Each to their own - but I don't think any of these roles should accept the view that all of us are bad / against / dangerous to them etc - it has to be counter productive, surely.