UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bee Keeping

grace

(I know they are an insect hope its ok to post)

I notice on the BBC today we are being urged to keep bees in our back garden and with the introduction of the new BeeHaus from Omlet..I can feel myself being lured ... slowly round to thinking well why not...

http://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/shop.php?cat=Beekeeping&sub=Beehaus

Anyone here got bees?

Grace

I've put it on my Christmas list laugh.gif It's a brilliant concept, but like all the other Omlet houses is massively overpriced rolleyes.gif

Im hoping the price might come down a bit if it becomes popular.... I have a teeny tinly little wilderness (planned that way...honest) at the bottom of my garden with a barrel pond and water lillies and lots of native plants the bees already love it....Im sooo tempted

I used to keep bees, and would love to do so again, especially as there is loads of heather hereabouts. But I haven't got anywhere suitable in the garden.

I loved it, and rarely got stung. But the neighbours do get upset, even though, if you have a 6 foot fence, they are no more likely to get stung than anywhere else. In the end I gave up because my bees loved to do their business in the morning on Mrs Next-Door's freshly laundered washing. I had had an out-apiary (where you keep the bees somewhere else, usually on a friendly farmer's land, or in my case, at Harlow Car gardens) but it turns a quick job inspecting the hives into a whole afternoon, and in summer that has to be done every 10 days.

I wouldn't use a plastic hive. You'll have condensation problems and unhappy bees. The wooden National on Crocus looks excellent value. WBC's (the 'traditional' white hives) are prettier, and pricier, but they are a fiddle to look after because there are effectively two hives, one inside the other. There is new research into different hive shapes to help combat varroa, which hadn't arrived when I was beekeeping. I'd investigate that before I started again.