UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Big And Tough Dog Beds

KathyM

Hi you lot

I was wondering if anyone could recommend an extra large and super tough, preferably hosable dog bed? I remember someone posting about giant beanbag type ones that were along the lines of what I need. Dharma is huge, she needs a 120cm+ bed (probably bigger). We have had foam bed off eBay and have used more recently a Danish Designs fake leather mattress type one, but none have lasted. Foamy/donut style ones are rolled out to a pancake within minutes under her weight and the leather type ones have the coating scratched off as she likes to dig her bed up. I need something made out of super strong fabric that's waterproof and scratchable. It needs to be big and v. deep/thick as she is getting on and has a bad back/neck. More importantly it needs to keep it's shape/support long term, as most other beds claiming to have not. If anyone could help me find one that would be ace. Budget always an issue but not so much so this time as I have my grant in September, whoo lol.

Thanks

Kathy

Are you any good at craft type things?

You need an old type rubber airbed split down the side and cram in a piece of 4inch expanded foam wrapped in a single bed memory foam. Eylets and a stout cord can be used for closure . Get a carpentry type to make up a sturdy wooden frame with low legs and weave on a full base of pirelli strapping high grade.

You need a combination of give , from the base and gentle support from the foam. Airbed rubberized canvas is preatty hardwearing and easy to clean, Most of the wear will be taken up by the faom , which can be replaced as and when.

Kathy, they're not the cheapest but I've been really pleased with the Kudos beds we have. We've got an easy bed and a couple of the mattresses. They have a "dip" in the middle which means they are a bit more snuggly for the dogs than a totally flat one. I went for the commercial fabric which I figured would preserve them longer. You can also ask for a particular size to be made, I had a couple made to suit the crate size.

They're a very nice company and I'm sure if you had something in particular in mind, with extra padding or something, they could give you a quote. I've found the beds we've got have held their shape really well. They can just be hosed off (they have two little "eyelets"(?) on one side, so you just need to hold that end away from the hose.

Would definitely recommend them/buy from them again.

If anyone does order from them, please quote Oldies Club too as we will get a donation then :)

Thanks both of you!

I'm afraid my DIY skills are not up to building her a bed, shameful as that is! I like the look of the Kudos ones, wonder if they would make me one about twice as deep though as we've had ones of similar depth that were rolled out by her. The polyester filled beds don't seem to last for her at all, they just end up flat within a week. Perhaps she needs a Silentnight mattress, they're made for hippos! :laugh:

ETA: I read about Tuffies too, which look spot on but I've read loads of people saying they're a waste of money as dogs refuse to sleep on them. Does anyone have experience of these?

Edited by KathyM

Silentnight is not such a bad idea, Over a certain weight you do need the two pice build up. Talk to the people that sell orthopeadic beds for people , they sometimes get part exchanged older bed., that the sell of cheap, You may have to cyt the legs off.

Kathy, I'd certainly try Kudos as they can make to suit individual requirements - if you let them know what you're after they would probably have suggestions. I'm sure I recall seeing a bed when I was there, that they'd made for someone with greyhounds that was very thick - and not like anything I remember seeing on the site.

The kudos bed we have did go flat after a year or so of GSDs sleeping on it. I did think kudos beds were the best you could get until I saw the Tuffies bed.

It's fab - no chance of that going flat as the stuffing is sewn into the bed in such a way that it can't come apart and collapse like the kudos bed did.

Expensive but no more than kudos I don't think. My lot haven't managed to chew it either (we have the heavy duty canvassy type material, they call it the woven type I think) and they did manage to get into the kudos bed we had (not badly but I still had to sew it up). The tuffies bed is the preferred bed by all four dogs.

I bought ours at Crufts, we want another to replace the now very flat kudos bed, but I will probably wait until they are at another show.

We have the biggest size and Khanu (GSD) and Breckin (working springer) sleep together on there at night. The 2 sheps can share it with ease also though so it should be plenty big enough for Dharma to stretch out on.

Edited by khanu

I've got one of the Gor Pets beds which Sir H and Wiggle both love. It's a beanbag inner, then a waterproof cover and then a soft fleecey cover on top of that. Both the covers are removable for washing.

Their bed is just under 120cm by 80cm and was £36 from Jollyes.

We've had the bed for over a year now and washed the covers umpteen times and it's still in great condition.