UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Collars For Long Haired Dogs

sproggie14

We've discovered that Begley's collar is worn and needs replacing so I wanted to ask fugee advice on the best sort.

Begley is a collie cross sheltie so very very fluffy. I've found previously that the usual flat nylon collars make the fur round his neck rough and broken so I wondered if there was a type of collar I could get to minimise this. His collar is purely for holding his tags as ours are walked always on harnesses so it doesn't need to be tough, just comfortable really. I'd very much prefer not to use leather and if we could buy from somewhere that would benefit a rescue then all the better :)

:flowers:

Toastie has long hair and he has a flat nylon collar which has a padded bit on the neck side (mainly because Bo needed a new collar so bought them matching ones). Was cheapish from a local pet shop. Previously he has had the sort which are firm fabric (the sort you get in PAH) which have not caused problems with his long hair.

The pets at home one is the one he has at the moment so I'd like something other than that sort. It has definitely had some effect on his neck fur as well as Loki's and Tess' who both now have flat, fake leather type ones. Their neck fur is better on that sort but still noticeably rougher in that area. Oddly Cassie still has the pets at home type and her fur is longer than Tess or Loki's and it hasn't really affected her so I guess it has as much to do with the texture of their individual fur as the length :shrug:

Toastie's throat was ripped open a couple of years back in an attack (21 stitches, and we still owe major thanks to my friend who along with me sacrificed his hand by putting it in the dog's mouth to prevent it's jaws clamping on T's windpipe, just through our hands instead)..... anyway the point of it was that although I left his collar off for a couple of weeks we then went back to the PAH one which went onto the shaved skin and his hair still grew back beautifully.

Musky's had an enormously thick collie ruff, and his fur used to get in a real mess with an ordinary collar. I used a fabric martingale for him as it loosened off except when he was on lead, and that worked really well.