UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice Please

one.eyed.dog

Having done a quick online search it was suggested that there are a number of plants cats are known to dislike. These include geraniums, marigolds, petunias, lavender and coleus canina which will emit a foul smell if the cat was to brush up against it.

Whether that is true or not I don't know. Lavendar certainly doesnt stop the neighbours cat digging in my plastic bin bags which are right next to the lavendar bushes!

I know anything citrus does deter cats but dont know how to put that in large quantities for the garden!

Sorry not much help!

oooooooo there is a plant that cats hate, off the bbc

The herb Rue is said to deter cats and also recently there has been a mysterious plant named Pee-Off, which as far as a colleague has found is a member of the Coleus family, which as most gardeners know is only half-hardy.

scroll down to the bit about pests.. this week cats

http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/read_th...wenty_one.shtml

the scented sticks sound interesting.

I have six cats and would go with the prickly twigs: a good mulch of lawn clippings also seems to help, they don't like digging in that so much. All the smell-based deterrents depend on the cat's personality, there are plenty of cats that don't mind citrus or rue. If you choose larger plants, firm them well in and water well, that should also help. Or you could put down a sheet of weed fabric, plant through holes in it, then mulch with garden bark over the top: that will keep the weeds down as well as making it harder for the cats.

That's assuming of course that this definitely is cats. There are lots of animals that will dig up bedding plants: if there is a chance that this is a fox, or the ultimate gardening nightmare, a badger,there is nothing much that can be done.

Half filling plastic juice bottles with water and laying them on their sides is supposed to keep cats away, something about the reflection of the water freaking them out, I've never tried it myself but at least it won't do any harm. I have used the jaggy rose/holly clippings, and that does work.

What will keep cats out of my garden. They have dug up all the bedding plants I put in last week.

I let the dog out when I see them but, they seem to be doing it at night.

If the dog does catch one she will kill it so it's not exactly ideal.

I don't think I'd risk letting my dog kill a cat just to save some plants, I know it's really annoying but all the same. If it's happening at night, it's probably going to be a fox.

• 2 weeks later...