UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Vegan Help Please

riley

Hey guys, I have friends over this week from the US and they're all vegan, (mum, dad, J 4yrs and J nearly 1) so please help me - I'd like to surprise them with nice food they can eat and have bought a meat free pan and a meat free tin to cook them something - but what? And what about snacks? Any good vegan snacky goodness? Sainsburys do a free from range which I'll have a look at but hints, tips and recipes would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance x

Hey guys, I have friends over this week from the US and they're all vegan, (mum, dad, J 4yrs and J nearly 1) so please help me - I'd like to surprise them with nice food they can eat and have bought a meat free pan and a meat free tin to cook them something - but what? And what about snacks? Any good vegan snacky goodness? Sainsburys do a free from range which I'll have a look at but hints, tips and recipes would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance x

Vegan snacks: http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/Vega...Category=Snacks

Vegan recipes: http://www.vegansociety.com/food/Vegan_Cat...snacks_parties/

Best of luck.

If you have an asian shop near you, the freshly made veggie samosas make a wonderful snack. So much nicer than supermarket ones. And I've never managed to make anything like them at home.

I have a recipe for vegetable bourgignonne which always goes down very well. PM me if you want the recipe.

For vegan Sunday lunch I do all the roasties and veg etc but replace the meat bit by one of those huge field mushrooms stuffed with sage and onion stuffing mix and add chopped tomatoes and mushrooms and anything else. That way vegans get to join in with the main meal. For a special occasion I do a three layer nut roast but it takes a long time to make. (You can do it in advance and freeze it).

Veggie curry is always a hit. Just as many vegetables as you fancy (include potatoes or sweet potatoes to give it some bulk) and add some curry paste and stock. Add creamed coconut to make it into a Korma.

Diane

Hiya! Another resident vegan here :D :D

Crikey, I have loads and loads of vegan recipes, it'd be easier if you'd tell me what you'd like and I'll rustle up some recipes for you. As for Sainos Free From range: in that health food section is also egg free mayonnaise, called Mayola (is yum!), and they have chocolate bars, in plain, rice crackle and tangerine, which I think are out of this world - just like milk chocolate! :D :D

You can easily adapt recipes that call for milk and butter, by replacing the milk with unsweetened soya milk and the butter with Pure margarine.

Most supermarkets now have veggiemince in the freezer, which is an excellent replacer for mince in, say, a lasagna - but check the ingredients list to be on the safe side, although "suitable for vegans" on the bag might be a bit of a give away too :wink:

Give a shout if you're thinking of anything specific, apart from rare steak and souffle I'm pretty sure I can come up with a vegan alternative to most things :flowers:

Thank you thank you thank you - I am actually looking forward to it! Just one more thing though......vegan wine?

We get our vegan wines from the Co op. I think Sainsbury's stock a range also :)

also stealing ideas from everyone's replies, I had no idea that wine was not generally either veggie or vegan!

The swim bladder of fish is quite often used to clear wine and also egg albumen. It has been known that animal blood was once used to improve the colour of some red wines :sick01: If it's vegan or veggie it will say on the label. If it doesn't don't trust it :rolleyes:

Thank you everyone, I made spaghetti in a tomato and veggie sauce and leek and potato soup made with vegan stock all very tasty and amazingly simple. Wine wise we found that Brown Brothers do a great range.