UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Lion Cub From Harrods - Channel Five 8pm Tonight

ReikiAnge

I've got two of George Adamson's books and in one of them, he talks about Christian, how he was introduced into the wild and the time John and Ace came back to see him.

Boy was one of the stars of the Born Free film. I've got the video, the books and also the DVD about the later time in George Adamson's live (Walk with Lions) where he is murdered.

I watched it in the quiet of the night with no distractions other than sound effects from the farm cats under my bed because I couldnt catch them.

I have to say this was one of the most celebrating and magic programmes I have seen for a long time.

These two naive but well meaning young club goers, thought it was a good idea to bring a Lion cub in to their lives as novelty and entertainment. They kept him partly in a cellar but quickly realised they owed him more than that.

Without doubt the huge personality of Christian helped carve out his own future because he became one of three blokes solving a common problem of the 60s when Christian needed his own crib to crash in.

Had the Lion not been such a nice natured, amenable chap then the rest of the story could have been different.

Another Lion about town ate a neighbours dog before its owner saw the harm and cruelty in what he was doing and set up a series of zoos and parks from the proceeds of gambling, devoted to saving these wonderful animals.

Thats two known lions saved but how many just withered and died in unsuitable conditions as toys ?

I loved the points in the film where it was clear Christian chose the way forward and there were many. I adored the photo of him where he had shared a whole night with his much loved human family and then went home and slept upside down because he was exhausted and I loved his trust in his flatmates when no matter where they took him he looked calm, happy and clearly joined in every day stuff.

Most of all I understood when as much as he loved his humans, he found his new life and stepped into it as it was the right thing for him.

I wonder if you did a graph of all threes life events,if there would have been a difference in dating,moving house,marriage and children between them all. That Lion was far cleverer and understanding than any human could be. I bet he could tell some tales of his youth to his grand children.

More importantly the humans turned a wrong situation into a right one. They gave every part of their souls to ensure thier friend got his heritage back for him.

Had the Lion not been such a nice natured, amenable chap then the rest of the story could have been different.

Another Lion about town ate a neighbours dog before its owner saw the harm and cruelty in what he was doing and set up a series of zoos and parks from the proceeds of gambling, devoted to saving these wonderful animals.

Thats two known lions saved but how many just withered and died in unsuitable conditions as toys ?

The two guys were on brekkie telly saying the very same thing, Christian was in Harrods with his sister, they picked him because he was so calm, where as his poor sister was stressed.......I wonder what happened to her :(

I was really shocking to see the bit of film of all the exotic animals that were up for sale in Harrods, and the fur coat wearing woman with the big cat on a leash.