UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Orijen

Spins4me

I usually feed raw food but I have been thinking about keeping some Orijen dried food as a standby, when we're away or visiting people who don't want a load of raw meat in their house. So just wondering if anyone here feeds it? How long does it keep? What you think of it as a substitute fir raw food? Most importantly does your dog like it :woof: ?

Thanks.

Hi I normally feed raw but am disappearing off on an extended trip at the end of April with the dogs of over 6 weeks and won't be able to source raw for that time. I looked at this but with two large dogs it was eye wateringly expensive and in the end I decided that dry food was never going to be a real substitute for raw meat and that I would choose a food that was made from a high percentage of meat content (26%) and with no wheat or additives and have gone for the CSJ original Lamb with Rice. This is £18.70 for a 15Kg sack (as against £45 for a 13.5Kg sack for orijen) and I am going to take some Landywoods mince with me and add this to the kibble.

The orijen still uses potato as the main vegetable filler and it is still an extruded product like other dry foods. I will be interested to hear if others have found it good

The orijen still uses potato as the main vegetable filler and it is still an extruded product like other dry foods. I will be interested to hear if others have found it good

Thanks for the information. I agree it's expensive, especially if feeding it full time. Must admit I didn't realise that potato is the main filler but I'm not too worried about that for occasional use. I'm trying to avoid wheat and other grains if possible.

Yup, we do, my two have been on it for about a year and a half, and they love it, eat it most days, dry, which for my two is a miracle, I would love to have fed raw but it just didn't agree with Spud. They are doing brilliantly on it, and it's not as dear as you'd think, you feed a lot less, I found I didn't need to feed as much as it says on the bag, it works out at about £5 per dog (Staffies, one 21kl the other 16kl) a week, I do also feed half a tin of Natures Menu in the morning each and the Orijen at night. They haven't gone loop-de-loop on the high protein, lovely hard poops, and I'm convinced it's helped Spuds chronic strained ligament problem. If you get it from Zooplus they do sample bags. Another plus for me is it's not stuffed with rice, something that I feel is used far to much in foods, I much prefer to have a variety of veg and fruit.

Thanks for the information. I agree it's expensive, especially if feeding it full time. Must admit I didn't realise that potato is the main filler but I'm not too worried about that for occasional use. I'm trying to avoid wheat and other grains if possible.

Have a look on Orijens site Orijen and you can see that there's not a lot of potatoe in it, it comes fifth and seventh in the ingredients list, which is very low compared to most other foods.

I have to say it does look a good food - Celeste there is no feeding guide on the website - are you feeding the adult version if so can you tell me what the recommended daily amount is for a 30Kg dog please. Because if you really don't have to feed much then it may be a better alternative for me

Just looked again on their website and found that HUGE button that says feeding guide - doh ..... stupid or what (well, maybe it is just too early in the morning. Anyway, the collie would eat a bit less than other foods but Barty would need 375g a day so unless I can source it in France i am not going to be able to take enough with me. Hey ho

Just looked again on their website and found that HUGE button that says feeding guide - doh ..... stupid or what (well, maybe it is just too early in the morning. Anyway, the collie would eat a bit less than other foods but Barty would need 375g a day so unless I can source it in France i am not going to be able to take enough with me. Hey ho

I found I didn't need to feed the recommended amount, but then they are getting a half tin of wet food in the morning.

I was thinking this morning about the Sweet and Russet potatoe, and I don't think either of those is the normal tattie we would think of, I know sweet potato is completely diffrent, but I think Russet is diffrent too, could be wrong mind :rolleyes:

Another good point about the food is that they guarantee that their suppliers of meat haven't added any preservatives before they get it, as far as I'm aware they are the only food company that do this, if you look on other foods it will say " no added preservatives or additives" but all that means is that the manufacturer hasn't added anything, but the supplier they get the meat from quite possibly will have, and you would never know what had been used.

I fed this until recently when I had to change to something cheaper so changed to CSJ.

I think I am going to change back as Murf much preferred the Orijen and I used less, so in balence its probably not that much more expensive and IMO and Murf's :laugh: it is a better food :flowers:

I found I didn't need to feed the recommended amount, but then they are getting a half tin of wet food in the morning.

I was thinking this morning about the Sweet and Russet potatoe, and I don't think either of those is the normal tattie we would think of, I know sweet potato is completely diffrent, but I think Russet is diffrent too, could be wrong mind :rolleyes:

Another good point about the food is that they guarantee that their suppliers of meat haven't added any preservatives before they get it, as far as I'm aware they are the only food company that do this, if you look on other foods it will say " no added preservatives or additives" but all that means is that the manufacturer hasn't added anything, but the supplier they get the meat from quite possibly will have, and you would never know what had been used.

You are right about the sweet potato it is a different kind of potato but a russet is just a red normal potato - for interest http://www.produceoasis.com/Items_folder/V...les/Russet.html

Barty being a lurcher always needs more food than the recommended amount on any cooked food because his gut obviously doesn't process it properly which is why I would need to feed him that amount.

Terri, I have been looking on the zoo plus website in France and yes, they do deliver but it is even more expensive than in England 61.99 euros which is just over £57 at the current exchange rate. Still it does look very good food so I think I will order a small trial bag and see if they like it. :rolleyes:

Terri, I have been looking on the zoo plus website in France and yes, they do deliver but it is even more expensive than in England 61.99 euros which is just over £57 at the current exchange rate. Still it does look very good food so I think I will order a small trial bag and see if they like it. :rolleyes:

Yikes !!, what a cheek, wonder why it's so expensive, it's not as if it had to travel further, perhaps their tax is higher :unsure: perhaps you could still buy it on the British site and get it delivered to France :happy:

Lucky old you having a reasonably local supplier. I have ordered two trial bags from Zoo plus and will see how it goes down. I would prefer not to feed masses of filler to my dogs as they just aren't used to it, but having said that the trial I am currently doing with feeding raw mince and the CSJ food is working well and Barty's well known gas emissions haven't started yet !!!!! If it continues this way I shall be a very happy bunny