UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Basic Cookie Recipe

one.eyed.dog

Here's one I've been using for a long time - it's for ginger crunch biscuits, but I suppose you can leave out the ginger and add other stuff. 'Tis very simple and doesn't need eggs - I make a vegan version for my daughter, though they taste better with butter, I admit. I wouldn't usually add bicarb when I'm using self-raising flour, but it helps make them crunchy. :flowers:

Ginger Crunch Biscuits

2 oz butter

1 tablespoon golden syrup

4oz self-raising flour

1 teaspoon bicarb soda

2 oz sugar

Melt together syrup and butter over low heat. Add dry ingredients and mix.

Roll into balls and place on baking tray (leaving space for biscuits to flatten!).

Oven about 160 for 15 mins

Chocolate Chip Cookies (I reckon you could add what you like to these cookies instead of chocolate chips and nuts)

110g butter

110g granulated sugar

55g brown sugar

1 egg

220g plain flour

220g chocolate chips

110g chopped walnuts

1 teaspoon vanilla essence

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 190c. Cream together the butter, granulated and brown sugar. Add 1 egg and beat well. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and stir into creamed mixture. Add chocolate chips, walnuts and vanilla essence. Drop on to a baking tray and bake for 10-12 mins. Use 1 teaspoon of mixture per cookie and space well apart, don't be tempted to use more, the voice of experience here knows if you do that then the mixture all spreads and you end up with one large cookie!

we make these at school, custard cookies

6oz custard powder

6oz icing sugar

12oz plain flour

12oz marg

chcolate chips optional

mix all ingredients (in a mixer) to a dough, add chocolate chips if using, turn out on a floured table and roll out to about 1/2 inch (ish) cut into what ever shape and put in oven gas mark 3 for 20 mins

they stay quite a soft cookie (not a hard crunchie one) especially if you ice them with sprinkles, great for those of us with dentures :laugh:

forgot to add my hubby eats these and he's diabetic, obviously without the chocolate chips :rolleyes:

Edited by phoenix

I make these cookies (walnut and chocolate) but have also made them with peanuts, so I'm sure you could swap the nuts and chocolate for something else. If you can resist eating them on the first day, they are much nicer the next day!

3 OZ (85g) BUTTER OR MARGARINE

3 OZ (85g) CASTER SUGAR

3 OZ (85g) SOFT BROWN SUGAR

1 MEDIUM EGG

1 TEASPOON VANILLA (OPTIONAL)

6 OZ SELF RAISING FLOUR

½ TEASPOON BICARBONATE OF SODA

2 OZ (55g) WALNUTS (CHOPPED)

3 OZ (85g) PLAIN CHOCOLATE (CHOPPED)

Mix all ingredients together. Divide into approximately 30 pieces (a bit smaller than walnut sized) and place on baking trays, allow space between the pieces for spreading so only 6 – 8 per tray. Cook on the middle shelf of the oven at 190 C (180 C fan oven) for 8 - 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave cookies on the tray for a couple of minutes then cool on a wire rack.

If you search on the money saving expert on the old style forum part for "fridge biscuits" you make a roll of the mixture and can then store it in the fridge and cook them within a week. I used to make them and chuck a couple in the oven when I used it...to make use of the residual heat you understand....

Mxx