UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Scary Happenings With

Pendlewitch

YO was lunging her sisters 12hh pony for the physio and it had a bucky kicky fit as they do but managed to get it's back leg over the lunge line. YO dropped the lunge, standard practice but then the pony just freaked, belted out of the arena, up the yard and JUMPED the 4ft yard gate, and that was going uphill as well! Pony then legged it over the horizon with YO and physio in hot pursuit! YO said she had never seen such a small pony achieve such a speed, it was flat out for miles and anyone trying to stop it got galloped through. The lunge line had by now disintegragrated but pony was not stopping, eventually someone parked a 4 x 4 across the road and pony turned for home and was recapured in the yard gateway fortunately unhurt but I would imagine it will be stiff and sore today. The night before all this ago it barged the 11 year old, knocked her over and trampled across her then was an idiot to catch on the yard.

Thing is this pony is a nightmare on the floor, totally unhandleable by children but an absolute gem once they are on top, doesn't put a dinky hoof wrong! It was bought with a local history of PC games teams and a good jumping record. Children who now own it are not good riders and it does little work but is lunged a lot. My feeling is that there is just somethig not right about this pony at the moment and should have a second chance but would anyone in their right mind put a child on it after such a serious bolt? YO is in bits about it and has the whole thing going over and over in her head and also what to do with said pony! OK she could send to a dealer but there is the risk to another child too.

What would you do?

Some natural horesmanship type stuff?

I would suggest lots of ground work, because the pony obviously doesn't see people as the leader. He is being very disrespectful and/or scared.

I'd start with seeing how the pony leads up and how he moves away from pressure. Then build a program of things to do on the ground from there.

I would suggest if he is such a good jumper that he does it our of fear and hes doing what any prey animal does in fear- RUN! I'd not rule him out as a childs pony without actually seeing what drive such an adverse reaction.

The ground work was my feeling and you're right, this pony has NO respect for anything or anyone. It's a pretty 7 year old bay mare by the way and not in the least nervous or spooky. She is terrible in the stable too, box walking and screaming continously for one of the other mares she's madly attached to, mare hates her by the way as do most of the other horses. Seeing as I don't ride much at the moment I might offer to do some work with her. She has some sort of controller halter but she ignores it and pushed through you with her shoulder and her head up then just barges about. I'd hate to see her passed from pillar to post as would YO, I'll have a discussion and see if a rehab programme can be worked out.

Any suggestions for a good, kind controller head collar?

The ground work was my feeling and you're right, this pony has NO respect for anything or anyone. It's a pretty 7 year old bay mare by the way and not in the least nervous or spooky. She is terrible in the stable too, box walking and screaming continously for one of the other mares she's madly attached to, mare hates her by the way as do most of the other horses. Seeing as I don't ride much at the moment I might offer to do some work with her. She has some sort of controller halter but she ignores it and pushed through you with her shoulder and her head up then just barges about. I'd hate to see her passed from pillar to post as would YO, I'll have a discussion and see if a rehab programme can be worked out.

Any suggestions for a good, kind controller head collar?

Has he been checked for a retained testicle..... it is fairly common in small ponies....

Thanks all for replies, the plot thickens! The physio had found that the pony had a mass of damaged and tight tissue in the loin area which could have been caused by both a saddle that was too long and a too heavy rider. YO does know that one of the previous owners was a 13 year old and she has a pic of the girl on the pony, she was not little! Physio says this is most likely the reason why pony will not canter easily with a rider, she probably finds it either painful and or very difficult. Finding a saddle to fit was not easy either, pony is a tad long in the back and it would be all too easy to slap the wrong saddle on.

I'm wondering if after physio had been investigating the back and then the bucky kicky thing coupled with the lunge rein incident maybe tweaking the back leg has caused poor pony unbelievable pain and she's flipped and run away from it. Does any of this make sense?

I am thinking of making an offer for pony as a project, I think she's worth a go and her back obviously need further treatment before she can be rehomed. Alternatively, when she's learned some respect she could maybe be turned into a driving pony.