UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Working Full Time

Karen D

Hi our family want to adopt a dog but we work full time 8 - 4 weekdays. Is it selfish to leave a dog at home on it's own. We want an older dog but don't want to make a dog unhappy if it isn't fair on them. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on this

Any advice?

Thanks

Karen

Hi there

We can pop home at lunchtime or at different points as my husband works out and about so can usually pop home. We were also thinking about a dog flap but I've heard difference stories about insurance and needing to have another secure door. Does anyone know about these?

We really want to offer a home to a dog but you hear so many different opinions about leaving them alone.

Once our son is old enough (not to lose his key!! one down wonder how many before he finishes comp??) he would be able to pop home at lunch to ensure the dog is let out to toilet...

Thanks

Karen

If you have someone who can get home at lunchtime or pop in a couple of times during the day to let the dog out and check all is OK then there are dogs who would be quite happy with that situation, it's a matter of finding the right dog (or consider a pair of dogs who would keep one another company?).

Many older dogs are very happy to snooze most of the day so long as they've had a morning walk and get a loo break through the day. You could also think about a greyhound - many of them are incredibly lazy and will quite happily sleep for hours so long as they get a couple of decent walks.

We have a dog flap & have had for years- a legacy from the times pre children when we both worked full time & had at least one dog sometimes 3!

We do have a secure garden & live in a cul-de-sac though.

We have never had any break -in's, insurance problems/ queries & lock it when we go away on holiday, to be honest I don't give it a second thought any more, even visiting dogs use it !

All our older dogs have slept a lot like Fee said so they are fine to be left for a while but some do prefer company i must admit.

We currently foster for the Oldies club and have a dog of our own who has taught our foster dog how the flap works very quickly so they use it even when we are in!!

Obviously the bonus is that you don't get woken in the night if they need the loo & if you do go out to work the dogs don't have their legs crossed when you get in ! Lol :laughingsmiley:

Hope that helps.

Caroline

Hi Karen,

PoundHounds have rehomed dogs to people working full time, as long as they can get home at least once during the day.

We currently have a very well behaved, placid, fit n healthy 10 year old staffy cross in foster called Max who is a fantastic dog - but he keeps being overlooked due to age.

I don't know where you live but our rescue is based in Leeds with kennels in Worksop and fosterers all over the country.

If you'd be interested in any further info please give me a shout!

Maly x

Hi Karen

I adopted my first rescue boy, Gdog, when he was 9 and I was working full time. The job I had at the time meant my hours were quite flexible and I could spend half days at home and on the full days I was out, a neighbour came in to walk him.

Since then, I've adopted another 5 dogs and fostered another 13. I now work shifts and we go out first thing in the morning, the dogwalker comes in lunchtime and then the dogs go out again each evening. If I'm at work in the day I don't go out in the evening as I personally don't think its fair to leave them all day and then for the evening, but life just works itself out around the dogs.

Obviously it depends on the dog, but I've found for me having grown up dogs can settle ok although having said that, my current foster, Pudding, is only 3 and a half and despite never having lived in a home before (she was a breeding bitch) she's settled into our routine.

Some of the dogs I've had would quite happily live on their own and be left whereas others prefer the company of other dogs.

I did go through a phase of worrying that the dogs weren't happy being left so setup a webcam that I could watch from work. I watched sleeping dogs :laugh:

PS, I'll move this to Doggie Chat :wink: