UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fostering With A View To Failing?

Rileyroo

We're sort of starting the process of looking for a second dog and have seen a lovely young boy who (on paper) seems to be everything we're looking for.

We have Riley (staffy x whippet) and two cats to consider and we really don't want to make a mistake with the next dog and finding that it doesn't fit with our existing animals / lifestyle.

The only time we've had two dogs is when the gorgeous Tracey Whippet came to stay with us from Whitelodge while she waited for her new owners to be ready to take her.

Is it OK to ask to be considered as a foster home for the boy we've seen (he's been advertised for a few weeks now) with a view that everything we do will be assuming he's staying with us (we'd happily cover all the cost of food, transport, vets bills etc)? If he fits then we'd ask to keep him. If he doesn't then he could stay with us until someone else came along as his forever home.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to do that because my Kizzy is so nervous that it takes a special dog to be her friend. We waited over 18 months and lots of rescues came and went before Kizzy chose Pixi. I would like a 4th tiny "on my bed" dog but again it has to be a special dog to fit in with my circumstances so no doubt more will come in and go off to new homes before I find my right one.Good luck.x :flowers:

When I fostered Byron I made it clear it was a foster with a view to adoption. I had briefly fostered another dog Blue for the Greyhound Awareness League but everyone knew I was looking for a permanent replacement for Mason with my girl Nell.

Blue was never an option - he was two, which is too young for my girl - and a real foster but I was very clear that the next one would be a potential adoptee.

While all charities need foster homes I expect they will appreciate fosters with an intent to adopt as much as regular fosters.

At the end of the day you need a dog who will fit into your home and fostering is a great way to find the right dog.

Byron was specifically chosen because as a large black greyhound he had less chance of finding a home than others - don't ask me why but the black boys get overlooked again and again.

As it turns out he is even more immature than Blue but Nell has an extraordinary degree of patience with him - I think she knows he is 'special' - he is not the brightest and I see dogs coming into GAL every day who are less work than Byron, but I would not exchange him for anything.

At the end of the day you find the dog that works for you and then you work for the dog.

Go for fostering, let them know your thoughts and see what happens. It can be extraordinary!

Marie

Best of luck :flowers:

You worked out who I was talking about somehow, didn't you? :laugh:

Well, Fi and I chatted last night and, references etc permitting, the lovely Kevin whippety boy from Lizzies Barn will be coming to stay in the next few weeks. :wub:

You worked out who I was talking about somehow, didn't you? :laugh:

Well, Fi and I chatted last night and, references etc permitting, the lovely Kevin whippety boy from Lizzies Barn will be coming to stay in the next few weeks. :wub:

I had an inkling that it might be a Barn boy, no idea why, but then Fi was reading your email for the first time whilst she was on the phone to me yesterday so I went "oooooooooooooooooooh! I know who that is!" :laugh: :laugh:

Kevin is one of Fi's favourites as he's so cheeky :rolleyes: and I couldn't be more excited for you all :elefant: