UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Guards

EAD

Im looking for a dog guard to fit behind the front seats and spied this one.

Dog Guard

Not sure if it looks sturdy enough, wot ya think :unsure:

Off to price MMG guard for front seats too.

Have a Barjo tailgate so going to give the dogs the full run of jeep once back seats are dropped.

Does it allow you to adjust the height of the headrest? Properly adjusted headrests lessen the risk of whiplash if someone rear ends you (if you'll pardon the expression).

How to adjust headrest: http://www.thewhiplashexperts.co.uk/headrest.html

Sorry to reply to own post - couldn't find the info above.

Edited by Spins4me

I have a halfords version of that dog guard, i like it cos it is easy to fit, At the moment it is fitted to the front seats as i had to fit in a large GSD, that is not ideal for me cos my car is a 3 door! I'm looking forward to having it attached to the back seat though!

J

I've got a Barjo tailgate and a Saunders dog guard in the Jeep. I like this one because I can use it in the boot with the back seats up or can use it behind the front seats with the back seats down.

http://www.vcsaunders.co.uk/DogGuards.html

The one I have is the T2, I was advised that the tubular guard with the mesh tailgate guard would give me better rear view vision than if I went with a mesh dog guard too. The legs on the T2 are long enough to go from the floor to the roof of the car or can be placed on the back of the back seats when they are down. When we travel with luggage we put it behind the front seats and put the dog guard up further towards the back of the car which makes good use of space, giving the dogs more room than they would have if they were in the boot but also giving us a separate area for luggage.

I've got the RAC between the front seats one - literally only stops them coming between the seats and not over the top but that is fine in the van as it is very narrow and the head rests are almost to the ceiling (plus dogs are also strapped into the rear seats - it is really to stop he-who-wriggles out of his harness coming forward.)

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/dog-supp...pet-brands.html

I found I had to have two different types of dog guard on the front seats. The first one is a plain mesh one from Halfords which I just fastened onto the headrest bars with some cable ties so it doesn't move. That wasn't enough on its own as it leaves a gap between the seats so I got another type from Halfords which is specifically for that purpose.

I have (had :rolleyes: ) the one in the op.

Finn managed to get past it and in the process break the plastic hook which attaches it to the headrest. He is a big sturdy dog and he was very determined as he'd been left while I took Billy in to agility but I wasn't hugely impressed. It was also quite 'flimsy' at the top as it is only attached to the headrests.

imho, you are best spending the money on a custom made screw in/other sturdy fixtured dog guard.

If you look on here there are links to manufacturers and also the fleamarket where people sell second hand dog guards :)

Does it allow you to adjust the height of the headrest? Properly adjusted headrests lessen the risk of whiplash if someone rear ends you (if you'll pardon the expression).

Sorry missed this :rolleyes: yes I can adjust the head rests and maybe im worrying too much but I dont want Kyla flying through me like a half tonne elephant. Because they'll be standing on the dropped back seats it means Kylas head is touching the roof.

I suppose my reluctance to buy a new MMG guard is that the jeep is a fair age so I might not get a lot of use out of it.

I was lucky and found a 2nd hand tailgate so might be lucky for the front guard too.

Guy in work made one for his Peugeout Partner with wire mesh and attached it to the car with hooks.

Thanks for replies, I shall keep pondering :)

Ok ive managed to get 1" x 1" wire mesh sized 4' x 4' for £10 which I can cut to fit and im thinking I can secure it with karabiners at the top with possibly bungee cord and hooks at the bottom. Can be taken on and off easily if need be and will be very strong. Thats all in my head so hopefully will work out.

Jessy do you think its a good job and strong enough to hold if in an accident?

Downside with the MMG is that its a hassle to get on and off and once on leaves me that I cant use my back seats.

Hi (thought i would answer even though you have another plan!)

I would say it would hold in an accident with it going accross the front seats i think it is pretty well braced, although think it would be better accross back seats in my car cos of the 3 door ness!

Jessy