UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Keyhole Spay

Gog Magog

Mishka is due to be spayed next month and my vet has mentioned they offer keyhole spaying. They've said its a lot less painful, quicker recovery and less chance of wound infection. Its £100 more expensive but we don't mind that if she does feel better for it :)

Has anyone's girl had this done? I remember when Cass had hers it was 2 weeks lead walks (arrgghh! longest 2 weeks of my life!) although she only felt poorly for a day. As Mish is a Utonagan she does like her exercise! They only take out the ovaries but I've read that they still can't get pyometra as the ovaries are needed?

I think we're going to go for this option but I'd be really interested to hear from anyone's experiences (good or bad!) as I've never come across it before.

thank you!

ali x

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not something I've experience of but I'd be interested in hearing more on here/if you find out more about it Ali :flowers: Hadn't thought about the pyometra bit.

Am just googling it and found some info here: http://www.willetthouse.co.uk/laparoscopic-spay.asp

I'm not brave enough to click on the video though :unsure:

Another link: http://www.highcroftvet.co.uk/news/Highcro...ery_laparoscopy which confirms what you said about pyometra

Ali, I have a friend who has done enormous research on this subject and I have asked her to forward to me what she found out, so will post here what I can and send on privately what I can't. Her decision in the end was that it was infinitely better to spay this way but when I get the info I am sure you will make your own decision.

Anne

would be interested to hear how your girl gets on, i was very unprepared for how big an operation spaying was i was truely shocked when i picked up missy it felt such a long 2 weeks waiting for the stictches to come out and would make me think seriously about having another bitch in the future. the keyhole might persuade me tho.

ps good luck with everything

Our vet group doesn't offer it and doesn't seem to have any plans to :( but I have asked them if the vets could look into it. They reckoned it is more likely to be something offered by a veterinary hospital. Wouldn't want to go to a random vet but will see if I can find any other vet offering it nearby.

Rosie is due to be spayed next week, and I would be much happier if she could have the keyhole version..sadly neither my vet, nor any others in our area seem to do it. Having checked on the internet all the vets who have this as an option seem to be down South. :(

Hi Suzeanna, the lady who supplied me with all the information on the partial spay I believe is in Yorkshire and a vet very close to her was offering this. Would you like me to find out where local vets are in our part of the world who offer it???

Anne

• 2 weeks later...

We've had to wait a while as the only vet that does it at our surgery is away. She's booked in at the beginning of March though! Will keep you posted as to what we think.

Thank you very much for that info Anne. We were leaning towards it anyway but I always like to research things properly before jumping in :)

Wish Mish luck!

x

our kitten was speyed last week and i'm sure it was a key hole as you could hardly see anything there at all, not even stitches they glued her up, the mark was about 10mm and she was just as sprightly buy the time we brought her home, a week on and there is nothing there at all, not even a visible scar,

We've had to wait a while as the only vet that does it at our surgery is away. She's booked in at the beginning of March though! Will keep you posted as to what we think.

Thank you very much for that info Anne. We were leaning towards it anyway but I always like to research things properly before jumping in :)

Wish Mish luck!

x

Good luck Mish! :flowers:

Ali, is there any chance you could PM me with the details of the vet that offers the keyhole spay? Our current vet doesn't offer it unfortunately and the more I think about it the more I feel the keyhole would be the way to go. Do you know if they have done many of them? It's a real shame more vets aren't offering it :(