UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Synflex Users

safneo

For those that buy synflex for their dogs (or maybe themselves), I had an email today about a new product that is the same thing but also contains MSM and is on offer. :) Good timing as I need to order some more. :laugh:

Flexwize

It has human and pet usages listed on the page near the bottom.

• 1 month later...

Just to say that I have been using this for about 10 days or so and haven't noticed any deterioration in Max and Milly. Not only is it cheaper than Synflex but it's thicker so when I'm pouring it on their food it's easier to pour on the correct amount as well :flowers:

The only downside is the putrid colour :laugh:

It takes a long time for glucosamine to take effect so its likely that it will take an even longer time to show if the stuff you are using is less effective. That having been said the ingredients in flexwize seem the same as Synflex.

Even cheaper is the Healthspan offering. Its only sold as a human version, but the fruity flavour doesn't seem to trouble mine!

Ruth

Just to say that I have been using this for about 10 days or so and haven't noticed any deterioration in Max and Milly. Not only is it cheaper than Synflex but it's thicker so when I'm pouring it on their food it's easier to pour on the correct amount as well :flowers:

The only downside is the putrid colour :laugh:

Glad you posted on here as I need to order some and it saves me looking for the thread. :laugh:

Ruth, do you know if the human one is suitable for veggies as I think I need to order some for myself too. :rolleyes:

Interesting to see this thread.

I ordered some Flexwize to try instead of Synflex. Pixie had been on it for 7 or 8 days and unfortunately she's coming up in nettle-like sores and hot red patches on her hips and lower back. They're driving her nuts and she's really trying to gnaw herself. I was struggling to think what was causing it because I haven't changed her food or my washing detergent, or used any household sprays or chemicals, and she's been wormed and Frontlined within the last few weeks.

The only thing I can put it down to is Flexwize. When I checked the bottle, I noticed that it has E122 colour in it. Annoyingly, I didn't see a FULL list of ingredients on the internet when I ordered it. I could only find a list of active ingredients, not other additives. I've looked it up and E122 is quite well known to cause itching and red sores. I stopped giving her Flexwize two days ago and I'm now waiting for a new supply of Synflex to arrive. Oddly enough, she hasn't been licking/chewing the sores today and they're much less red so that further fuels my thoughts about the horribly bright pink colour of Flexwize.

I would say that it might be ok for some but certainly not for others so think carefully before swapping.

However the Glucosamine liquid contains Allura Red which is another Azo dye, so I wouldn't give it to a dog that reacted to E122 which is of the same family. The combined glucosamine/chondroitin liquid is all natural (blackcurrant) - I'l buy that in future because its still cheaper than the other stuff.

Ruth

Edited by Ruthi (borrowadog)

It takes a long time for glucosamine to take effect so its likely that it will take an even longer time to show if the stuff you are using is less effective. That having been said the ingredients in flexwize seem the same as Synflex.

Liquid glucosamine works within a week to ten days in my experience :flowers:

Thanks for that Peachy - I did wonder about the putrid colour but it doesn't seem to have affected either of mine but definitely worth bearing in mind as I don't like feeding them additives. Think I'll probably switch back to the Synflex then :rolleyes:

Have had a look at the Healthspan one and although it appears cheaper and also delivers 1500 mg of glucosamine per dose (which is the same as the Synflex/Flexwise), the daily dosage required is 15 ml so you need to take twice as much (3 teaspoons) to get the same amount of glucosamine as the Synflex, which contains 1500 mg glucosamine per 1.5 teaspoons.

I did used to get my Synflex on eBay from an American seller, but unfortunately the price has gone up due to currency fluctuations, so it's not really viable any more.

Forgot to add : The blackcurrant one looks like it might be worth a try though due to it being natural, as if you bought the 600ml it is still slightly cheaper than the Synflex so might ask them if it's suitable for animals as well :unsure:

Edited by merledogs

I have had a look on Paypal and Synflex was:

31.70 for two bottles in May 08

31.75 Nov 08

32.40 Feb 09

I think there has always been a charge for p&p.

I thought about purchasing from the US when the exchange rate was in our favour, but didn't know if I would be charged customs/VAT.

Edited by BrackenMc

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed about the Flexwise and the additives, and got this reply :

Hi, I have sent you 2 synflex original as replacement.

I am sorry about this, our policy is to use only natural colouring if needed, and vegetarian product where possible, no gelatine and no sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose.

We gave the spec to our manufacturer and overlooked the fact that they had introduced the additives.

We will be re-formulating our next batch.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Healthwize

I wondered where the two bottles of Synflex had turned up from, I thought I had ordered them and forgotten :rolleyes:

I have to say the customer service response has been great and even better that they are changing the next batch.