UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Brenda Aloff

purple_mog

Am just about to get her most recent book "Get Connected with your Dog" it has a 90 minute DVD in it as well - I have 2 of her other books "Aggression in Dogs" and "Canine Body Language - A Photographic Guide"

I have dozens of behaviour books and have to say that I consider Brenda's books to be the best I've come across. In my opinion they may be a bit difficult for beginners but she describes complicated learning proceedures with brilliant clarity. They are quite expensive but IMO are well worth the money. They are big thick books and go into fantastic detail.

I also have her Aggression in Dogs DVD which is interesting but not the best quality images and sound.

I have just emailed her to ask if she has any future plans to tour the UK as I would be there like a shot! :)

hmmm thats interesting. I have her Body Language and Get Connected books, but having watched the Get Connected DVD there was actually a few things I wasn't that comfortable with? I love her explanations of front brain/hind brain and switching games and the section on overshadowing when you use simultaneous cues, just less sure about her methods in practice.

1. her Be Still cue seems to be rubbing the dog until it essentially gives up moving or trying to get away? Just from watching I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, the leaning over and brisk movements actually strike me as being slightly obnoxious and in the DVD its shown with a dog that is clearly not comfortable being handled.

2. teaching the give in or back away from pressure - while I love the exercise again in the dvd I wasn't comfortable with the way she used it on a nervy dog? I mean obviously it worked eventually...but seemed there was a lot of potential for confrontation?

Granted my main experience has been with soft, sensitive collies, one of whom has been very reactive in the past, but...

Look foward to your opinions mole :)

Am just waiting for the "getting Connected" book and dvd coming from Amazon. Will let you know about dvd when I've watched it :)

The two books I've got of her's at mo are "Canine Body Language" and "Aggression in Dogs" - just getting towards end of the second one and have to say I've found it really good in explaining things and giving in depth explanations of different behaviourial criteria. I can't say I've found anything so far that I would feel uncomfortable with in the way she deals with different problem behaviours but of course it's different when you can actually see her working.

Postman has just delivered "Getting Connected".........great!!!!! :bigsmiley:

Will be back after watching dvd in next few days.

Kathy