UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Hugh Duffin At Animal House

supafrisk

Hugh is a brilliant vet, he has tended my animals for years until he moved but has come back to the Rugby area and has opened his own practice with his wife Theresa. They are keen to promote responsible pet ownership, and are putting together a CD rom for people interested in buying a dog which will list ALL breeds, their life expectancy, ailments particular to each specific breed, behavioural problems associated with each breed, how much exercise etc to help would be dog owners understand better a breeds needs before rushing out and buying a dog. They are keen to promote rescue dogs for rehoming as a much better alternative to buying a dog and have opened their practice with the hope that when they retire they will do so with the knowledge that they've stood up and been counted in the fight to stop unnecessary farming and breeding. Oh, and they have a lurcher lol I always like lurchery people!!!

The link for their practice is here ( Animal House ) and they do cost price vaccinations, neutering and chipping for dogs, cats, ferrets, guinea pigs and rabbits.

Prices

We are happy to accept RSPCA and other charity vouchers towards the cost of treatment:

Here are current rates for neutering:- All inclusive of V.A.T.

Bitch Spay (under 25kg.) £65

Bitch Spay (over 25kg) £80

Dog Castrate £60

Cat Spay £30

Cat castrate £25

Rabbit spay £40

Rabbit castrate £35

Ferret spay £40

Ferret castrate £35

Guinea pig spay £40

Guinea pig castrate £35

This includes, cannulation, pre-operative blood testing, buster collar, pain relief and post op check-up.

Edited by supafrisk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest da wallys

"They are keen to promote rescue dogs for rehoming as a much better alternative to buying a dog and have opened their practice with the hope that when they retire they will do so with the knowledge that they've stood up and been counted in the fight to stop unnecessary farming and breeding."

you quoted this in your message about this vet new in rugby. I would just Like to say personally and please dont get me wrong i admire him for wanting to help out but the only way any of these vets would help out would be to offer a free sterilizing clinic to whoever, be they rich or poor once a year for say two months,if they could do that and lets face it with what the vets charge for everything in their practices they could afford to do this it would help the unwanted animals in the pounds and rescues we would be dealing with far less, I think a lot of people rich or poor are put of by the cost of having their animals sterilized and this is why there is so many unwanted pups,kittens around. Also would it really hurt these vets to not charge rescues for vaccinating or sterilizing the rescue animals, it would save money for the pounds and rescues if they didnt have to pay and that money could be put to good use on other urgent needs and cases

I think the vets need to sit down and really think about it!!!!

"They are keen to promote rescue dogs for rehoming as a much better alternative to buying a dog and have opened their practice with the hope that when they retire they will do so with the knowledge that they've stood up and been counted in the fight to stop unnecessary farming and breeding."

you quoted this in your message about this vet new in rugby. I would just Like to say personally and please dont get me wrong i admire him for wanting to help out but the only way any of these vets would help out would be to offer a free sterilizing clinic to whoever, be they rich or poor once a year for say two months,if they could do that and lets face it with what the vets charge for everything in their practices they could afford to do this it would help the unwanted animals in the pounds and rescues we would be dealing with far less, I think a lot of people rich or poor are put of by the cost of having their animals sterilized and this is why there is so many unwanted pups,kittens around. Also would it really hurt these vets to not charge rescues for vaccinating or sterilizing the rescue animals, it would save money for the pounds and rescues if they didnt have to pay and that money could be put to good use on other urgent needs and cases

I think the vets need to sit down and really think about it!!!!

This vet offers very low cost neutering and spaying and his offering to help promote rescues ( as per the OP ) if you have comments in general re vets charges or whose responsibility it is to have animals neutered I would suggest you open a new thread in doggie chat or controversial

Sam

This vet offers very low cost neutering and spaying and his offering to help promote rescues ( as per the OP ) if you have comments in general re vets charges or whose responsibility it is to have animals neutered I would suggest you open a new thread in doggie chat or controversial

Sam

Thanks Sam, I was trying to point out that Hugh is offering it at cost price including cannulation whatever that is and he doesn't make any money on these himself, if he offered vacs neutering and chipping free he'd have lots of trade but would be bankrupt pretty quickly as well. I've known Hugh for years and I know that he wouldn't hesitate to help out, even if someone couldn't afford the treatment and I know he also takes vouchers for neutering so even if for instance a cat spay was £30, the voucher would mean the owner would get a further discount. Sorry but I had to point that out.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DOGZDOC
Thanks Sam, I was trying to point out that Hugh is offering it at cost price including cannulation whatever that is and he doesn't make any money on these himself, if he offered vacs neutering and chipping free he'd have lots of trade but would be bankrupt pretty quickly as well. I've known Hugh for years and I know that he wouldn't hesitate to help out, even if someone couldn't afford the treatment and I know he also takes vouchers for neutering so even if for instance a cat spay was £30, the voucher would mean the owner would get a further discount. Sorry but I had to point that out.

I wish more vets were like Hugh. I do not know him but he sounds very caring, and promoting responsible ownership, together with adopting a rescue dog is very admirable. Athough most of us wish there were no unwanted dogs, it is somewhat unrealistic to expect vets to work for free, most are very hardworking and do have overheads and staff to pay. I think so long as each individual does what they can to help, we will be a little closer to raising awareness and resolving some of the issues.

I am a Canine Psychologist/Behaviourist, and I have to make a charge for my services, to cover my costs, the hours I put in, and to feed and care for my own 9 dogs, however, if someone genuinely cannot pay, I will carry out an Assessment (wherever geographically possible) provided they make a donation to a Dog Charity of minimum £1, which I think is fair.

• 8 months later...

I would also like to add here that I have known Hugh for a few years now, firstly through horses and now he has his own practice I have all my animals registered with him. Friends of mine have also changed from theirs vets to register with Hugh.

Hugh offers a fantastic caring service. The staff he has taken on are all friendly and considerate. They have given one of my dogs alot of time after he has had bad experiences with2 previous vets. I trust hugh completely, and if he decides another vet is worthy of working in his practice then I will trust them aswel. I have never been into a surgery that has such a relaxed atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like to add here that I have known Hugh for a few years now, firstly through horses and now he has his own practice I have all my animals registered with him. Friends of mine have also changed from theirs vets to register with Hugh.

Hugh offers a fantastic caring service. The staff he has taken on are all friendly and considerate. They have given one of my dogs alot of time after he has had bad experiences with2 previous vets. I trust hugh completely, and if he decides another vet is worthy of working in his practice then I will trust them aswel. I have never been into a surgery that has such a relaxed atmosphere.

I'll second that. :)

They are a lovely bunch at The Animal House.

They've even offered to errect a camp bed in the waiting room for me! And stick a reserved sticker on one of the chairs! :laugh:

Oh look, nearly 4pm - guess where I'm off too....

Throughly recommended!

I think he sounds great and deserves lots of custom for his caring attitude.

Vets are business people and need to make money, look whatt GP's earn, sorry, off topic, but if he is happy to reduce his prices then may encourage other vets to do the same! :unsure: