UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Changing Names

LisaLQ

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of my current 3 oldies 2 have the names they came with because they suited them, Winston and Tammy, both elderly labs. My 3rd. oldie is a fostered GSD who was microchipped but the owners couldn't be traced when she was found as a stray. The kennels kept her given name of RIO but she is now Lady, which I think is more fitting for this lovely girl. I've very often changed my rescue dogs names when they come to me and they have always adjusted very quickly.

Nearly all of our pets have had their names changed, not necessarily for the better in some cases :rolleyes:

Dogs

Bailey used to be Ziggy (and Jacob fought quite hard to keep that but me and Soph overruled :D )

Bear used to be Toby (and had been for 12 years but answered to Bear immediately :wub: )

Flora used to be Flora (we tried lots of different names out, but Flora suited her best :wub: )

Bran didn't have a name

Cats

Kevin used to be Mr Coal (he'd been found trapped in a coal shed :( )

Summer used to be Summer (she was the first summer kitten the rescue had in but it was also what I'd wanted to call Sophie so it stuck :wub: )

Mango and Mika had heavy metal related names that I can't even remember now :ohmy:

Fosters

Spyro used to be Gary :blink:

Stella used to be something girly that I can't remember, but we named her Stella aka Ms Artois :wink:

Wooooooooooopert used to be Rhua and officially stayed as that on his paperwork but we never called him that, his family then changed his name to Milo anyway :wacko:

Fish was Buster and went out as that eventually, but we always called him Fish and he always answered to it :wub:

Spider and Pie didn't have names - the kids named them. Although Pie died :mecry: Spider cat was rehomed to our friends and he is still very much Spider cat :wub:

Of course, our absolutely triumphant moment was renaming a very thin saluki called Patches. We tried all sorts of names on him but the only word he showed any response to was "oojit" and Oojit he remains to this day :wub: :laugh:

Jake had been in Dogs Trust for a year before he came home - under the name of Hughie.... now call me picky but I did not fancy wandering over the fields calling "Hughie" and having people think I was being sick...... he was such a skinny boy (naturally, not thru lack of feeding) that he became Jake the Rake.

Dylan was called Paddy by the rescue which I didn't like. As he was a stray and only in rescue for some 10 days, he didn't recognise that name yet anyway, so the change to Dylan was no problem.

Troy was already called Troy, I assume by his previous owners. It suited him and he responded well to it, so it stayed.

Flash was called Barney. I didn't like Barney, particularly not together with our surname... I could just hear our vet called "Barmey Marney next please"... :laugh: So he got changed to Flash without problems.

Vera

LOL @ Barney Marney. Luckily I'm an "Akrigg", there's not many names which rhyme with that. Although, previously a Morris, must admit I had a hankering for a Boris Morris one day lol.

Thanks for your input folks, the girl in question has had her name for over a year (if not longer if she had it from her previous home), but the name we have picked is very similar to her current one.