UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

More Dogs Die In "police Care"

username

Another Dangerous Dogs Act Canine Welfare Scandal: Dogs Continue to Die in “Police Careâ€

A Freedom of Information (FOI) request sent to the Metropolitan Police has revealed that the death toll of dogs dying in police “care†has increased. Hot on the heels of an earlier request showing one dog died each week on average of illness or “unknown causes†http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/585/go...eek-in-britain/ a second follow up request shows the death toll average is now 2 dogs a week.

For more see here:

http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/1581/a...-care%e2%80%9d/

One dog dead is too many but the title is misleading.

4.5 thousand dogs are dead [probably a lot more than that since FOI requests don't give an accurate total] but they haven't all died in police care.

The vast majority of those have died as a result of a poor act. Many died when their owners had them pts and were recompensed to the tune of £60 for doing so.

The act itself is to blame for all of these deaths, not the police or kennels [though clearly the responsibility for welfare lies with the authorities]

quote:

"One dog seized as a banned breed and later released as not being “pit bull typeâ€, was in bad condition and spent 12 days on a drip suffering from parvo virus. His owner was given no information on his return."

To the lady that owned this dog - that is a dreadful thing to suffer and I hope that your dog is now much better

Today I had a long chat with a family whose dog is in kennels under dda, they were talking about christmas and how they felt with thier dog taken away from them, the news that parvo had broken out in kennels the last they heard several weeks ago, and how they didn't understand the law etc and just wanted their dog home this xmas, which is not going to happen just yet, had me in tears as the law has a knack of truly getting to you, well, if your're reading this, just know you are not a 'statistic' and lots of people do care about you and your dog this xmas :flowers:

to anyone suffering due to bsl, stay strong and don't give up :GroupHug:

Amanda x