UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Irish Blue Cross - Online Statement

EGAR

The Irish Blue Cross emphasises the responsibility of pet owners who own any of the below listed breeds to ensure that at all times when they are in public places that they are muzzled, on a short strong lead and under the control of an adult older than sixteen years of age, who is capable of controlling the dog. These are the current regulations enforceable by local authorities.

* American Pit Bull Terriers

* Bull Mastiffs

* Doberman Pinscher

* English Bull Terrier

* German Shepherd

* Japanese Aikita

* Japanese Tosa

* Rhodesian Ridgeback

* Rottweiler

* Staffordshire Bull Terrier

* Bandog

In addition, the Charity urges all pet owners to have their pets neutered and micro chipped and calls on the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government to introduce compulsory micro chipping so that each pet has a unique micro chip that links it to its owner. This will encourage greater accountability and a more positive attitude towards dog ownership.

In the absence of legislation to restrict ownership and breeding of the above listed dogs, the charity calls on welfare groups and the veterinary profession to continue their good work in encouraging responsible pet ownership and in so far as possible to discourage the ownership of these breeds. A greater understanding of the potential risks in keeping these breeds will assist pet owners to make more informed decisions on choosing family pets and pets suited to community environments

For further information contact:

Bernadette Doyle MVB

The Irish Blue Cross

http://www.bluecross.ie/news2.html

Sarah, does the Blue Cross in Ireland take in dogs for rehoming or does it just focus on the vet treatment side of thing for pets? I couldn't see any animals up for adoption on the site, whereas the UK Blue Cross has adoption centres (and don't seem to discriminate against breeds thankfully!).

"A greater understanding of the potential risks in keeping these breeds will assist pet owners to make more informed decisions on choosing family pets and pets suited to community environments"

Aaargh! The legislation is bad enough but to read this! Good job my GSD PAT Dog can't read, he'd pack his bags and emigrate to Antarctica! Oops, NO! He can't do that either. Dogs, (Understandably for environmental reasons) aren't allowed there either.

Oh well, he'll just have to join me in my darkened room.

"A greater understanding of the responsibilities of keeping dogs will assist potential pet owners to make more informed decisions on choosing family pets and pets suited to community environments"

Now that re-wording I wouldn't have a problem with.

They have caved in under massive pressure from other rescue orgs and emails from the public ;) and changed the statement to:

The Irish Blue Cross Statement on Restricted Breeds

The Irish Blue Cross, through its day-to-day work with pet owners, encourages responsible pet ownership. It encourages pet owners to think carefully when taking on a pet and to consider how it will fit into their lifestyle, its very basic need for companionship, exercise, healthy diet, veterinary care, etc. The Charity always encourages the re-homing of unwanted dogs from rescue centres and Dog Pounds. This ties in with the huge level of work carried out by The Irish Blue Cross to date in reducing levels of unwanted litters through its hugely popular low cost neutering scheme.

The Irish Blue Cross encourages owners of listed breeds (Control of Dogs Regulations 1998) to adhere to regulations enforceable by law. In summary these are, that restricted breed owners should at all times ensure that when they are in public places their dogs are muzzled, on a short strong lead and under the control of an adult older than sixteen years of age, capable of controlling the dog.

The listed breeds are: American Pit Bull Terriers, Bull Mastiffs, Doberman Pinscher, English Bull Terrier, German Shepherd, Japanese Akita, Japanese Tosa, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bandog and crosses of the above.

Link remains the same as in my OP.