UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Has Anyone Had A New Roof Put On?

supafrisk

Ermm..

We finally got round to affording a new roof (the solicitor dealing with my late Grandfather's estate very nicely agreed to release enough money to cover getting it done) as it wouldn't have lasted another 3 months, Mark has been patching it from the inside every other month for the past twelve months :ohmy:

Anyway, they've ripped the old slates and lath off above the kitchen and above my bedroom and have yet to start on Mark's side.

However..

I just went out the back to ask them if they wanted a cuppa.

I shouted up, and as there was no answer, walked to the opposite end of the garden to "have a look" as the scaffolding obscures it all.

When I'd backed up enough to be able to see, a workman appeared to be wrestling with one of the chimney pots as the other workman looked as if he was holding the brickwork together on the chimney :ohmy:

They've took the stack/pot off and leant it horizontally behind the brickwork and have gone back to felting and lathing the roof.

Should I be worrying about the chimney?

I mean, I'd have thought if there was cause for concern that they'd have come down by now and told me the bad news, surely? :unsure:

Dee Sherlock Bones will know more I suspect but your chimney stack is supported by it's brickwork right down thro the building to below ground level so any problem will likely be with the exposed bit on't roof but shouldn't be a problem on it's own when re-roofing - if you know what I mean :unsure: They can and do become damaged thro high winds and general wear and tear as well as from damp. Ours was damaged in exceptionally high winds in 2005 and part of crashed down thro next door's bathroom roof which is part of a lean to extension. It wasn't that expensive to have it repaired. If it's had a coat of dashing put on it this can become loose and pull away from the brickwork underneath. The chimney pot part of the stack can come loose but is easily put right tho if it is cracked and in poor repair then you are best putting a new one - you may have more than one as well.

The first house Gary & I ever bought had had the fireplaces and chimney breasts knocked out. The surveyor found, in the loft, a totally unsupported chimney stack. We had a retention on the mortgage to get the work done within 6 months.

The support work was actually pretty cheap and basic - just joists under the remainng brickwork - but I'd imagine if it wasn't supported it would have done major structural damage to us and next door.

They knocked the door earlier to tell me "umm.. you have a big problem... a couple of courses have come off the chimney and we had to take one of the pots off until Monday" :ohmy:

Luckily the quote included repointing the chimney and removing the little chimney :rolleyes:

I thought they'd found a bees nest as I found deposited on the ground a single round wooden ball type structure about the size of a ping pong ball with a small cluster of honeycombs inside (21 of them) but the roofers said it wasn't a wasp or bee that made it, it was a spider :dry:

I think the guy's seriously mistaken - what spider makes a pulp nest and lays eggs in honeycombs?

It would however go some way to explaining why we get so many bees in our house each spring and why they appear to come out of the back room fire :rolleyes:

Edited by supafrisk

We had our whole roof replaced a couple of years ago and one of our chimmney stacks needed re-doing, it was'nt a big deal at all, and only took less than a morning to put right so as long ( as was previously said) it's supported all the way to the ground you should have nothing to worry about.

Just make sure all the tarps covering the work are secure when they leave for the evening and doubly sure if it's not finished before the Christmas holiday, our tarp came undone one night and we came home to find water cascading down one of the bedroom walls :ohmy: .

They haven't used any tarps :unsure:

They started on the Friday morning, ripped half the main roof off (mid terrace rear side of roof) and the sloping slate roof over the extension which covers Ellie's bedroom. MArk's part of roof at the front was left on over the weekend. They felted and lathed the exposed parts but didn't tarp (but I've been told by other people that if it's felted it doesn't need tarping?) it.

After the shock of seeing the chimney pot sat sideways behind the chimney, I forgot to tell you all - my bedroom light AND Ellie's bedroom light no longer work :mecry:

Mark's is fine, but then, his part of the roof was still on on Friday.

Obviously I checked the fuses, bulbs etc but it's obvious that when they ripped the slates off they must have done something to the supply.

In all probability Ellie's ceiling (which doesn't have loft space) is so close to the actual roof that I presume the supply has been affected there and that her ceiling fitting probably feeds off mine (or vice versa) and that is how they are the only two affected.

As soon as the Gaffer got on site Monday morning I appraised him of the situation, only for him to tell me that he can't see how them taking the roof off would affect the electrics and that it was nothing they'd done :ohmy:

They haven't yet slated Ellie's roof, but they have done Mark's side and are working their way down mine and expect to be finished by tomorrow evening - I've discussed it with Mark, but Mark is not interested in intervening (I'm sure they're doing the blonde, female and dumb routine on me) because he's not paying for it!!

What do I do? :unsure:

I've spoke to Trading Standards/Consumer Direct and they say send a letter in writing etc but in the meantime, Ellie and I are in the dark!!

I'd get an electrician in sharpish, if it is due to them then it might be dangerous, if the sparky says it is down to damage done by the roofers then I'd either hold back part of their payment equal to the cost of putting it right or, if you've already paid the total to them ( which I hope you haven't) bill them for the cost.

If you've got felt on then you won't need a tarp, we didn't have felt so the water came right through the boards :(

Thanks. I've just spoken to an electrician who says that it is probably a loose wire in one of the ceiling roses and he said that it was probably caused by vibration from the banging and crashing going on, so tomorrow I will whip the electrics off and have a look.

Our roofers erected some sort of scaffolding over our new extension roof which then had a plastic tarp over it, it was made to fit so looked like a temporary roof. (I'm not explaining myself very well here :rolleyes: ) This also meant that they could work when the weather was bad and be dry

Sorry only just catching up... I'm no building surveyor but it does sound like they have just come across one of those things that happens - lets face it better you know now that the bricks were unstable than when the chimney crashed in... ! I'm surprised the roof isn't covered in a tarpaulin... supposing it rains?!! Usually only new build properties are covered cos there is nothing inside... I also have to advise cos i have to, it's inbuilt, please don't look at the electrics yourself. You're not allowed to these days, and it's too risky.. please pretty please. :flowers:

Just to let you know, we found the fault, they had smashed a junction box in the loft :angry:

Not only that, but there are loads (and I mean loads) of flies in the loft that weren't there before (I am hoping they didn't use it as a toilet as they never asked to use our toilet in the house :sick01: ) .

Also, where they have put the ridge/gully in between the main roof and the extension you can see daylight (not sure if you're meant to).

They want another £300 to point up the chimneys, Mum said she couldn't afford it 'til January and so they offered to do it and waive the bill until January :rolleyes:

Mum has agreed because another builder has said it's hard to get a different builder up there, even with the scaffolding in place as the roof tiles break easily under foot :huh: :huh:

Qoute of the week Mum: "How much extra for putting a bit of muck around the chimney?"

Owner of roofing firm: "Well, actually it's not that simple"

Umm.. He obviously didn't know Mum was married to my Dad for 20 years who was a roofer/brickie/sub contractor :glare:

And to allay your fears no I didn't do my own electrics :D