UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ideas For Meg Please

Fee

The Oldies Club have been asked to help Meg, who is a 14 year old GSD/spaniel X (collie size, apparently), as her elderly owner can't cope with her.

She is apparently a very sweet natured dog, good with children and other dogs and has lived with cats in the past. However she has always lived outside - she's happy to pop into the house for visits during the day, but sleeps in her kennel or in the shed (she decides which).

Her owner's neighbours are trying to help out with her as much as possible, and have made up a bed for her in their kitchen but she prefers to take herself off back to her shed at night. At her age I hate to think of her sleeping out in the cold, even if it is her choice :(

I'd love to get her into a foster home, but it would have to be a very special home who could work through any settling in problems involved in persuading her to sleep indoors - or perhaps someone who has a cosy outdoor space she could go to and be moved inside gradually.

Any ideas for a suitable situation for this little girl? Things are getting quite urgent for her, and I'm really struggling to find a suitable foster home at the moment!

Are you sure this dog would be ok inside? I only ask as my last dog was a GSD cross and she felt the heat terribly. I had to have to bedroom windows open on even the coldest nights as she would pant and not settle. I have been known to go to bed wearing 2 fleeces and even a hat just so she was comfy.

If she's used to sleeping outside she will find being indoors very uncomfortable.Most houses are grossly overheated for a dog who has been outdoors all her life.She'd probably do well here as I have no central heating but sadly not in a position to take on a foster.jax39's suggestion of a conservatory or similar where door could be kept open for her to go outside if she wanted to is a good compromise.

Edited by zico's mum

Im not in a position to help unfortunatley, but thought id mention i have a heat hating dog (merly the akita) who seeks refuge in our garage (integral/accessed from our hallway) when he gets uncomfortable. If any possible forster homes have the same, (and preferably not in use)set up with their garage, it might be a step in the right direction as Meg would hopefully come in when she pleases :)

• 1 month later...