UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Wireless Routers

griff

i need to buy a wireless router but i am terribly confused, i get my broadband off virgin, just phonecalls and internet and that is it, i just plug my current modem into the splitter thing and into the phone socket, i am really confused as in argos one of the items statrs if i get my internet off virgin that i need a different router :unsure: i looked on pc world and there again it says for "bt customers" and then cable customers, my line is from bt. can anyone tell me which one i need, i don't want to have to go all the way to pcworld (i don't drive) and be harassed by a salesman, i prefer to reserve online and just go in with my bit of paper :)

sorry if i appear a bit thick and vague, i have no idea when it comes to these things :rolleyes:

I do believe you need the BT router, it's who provides the line rather than who your provider is, when I changed provider and got a router they were just bothered if I had a BT line, the man checked and it was, even though I was with Toucan for BB.

Are you sure you can get wireless on your laptop ? when I had my old lappy I got a router ( lappy had a wirless button) and could never make it work, it was only when I got that nice young man in to set up my new lappy and router he told me the old one wasn't WIFi enabled, even though it had the button.........what a plank :laugh:

thanks, right i seem to be able to either connect to sky or virgin, obviously virgin is my network and it states secured but then the sky one says unsecured which i guess is my next door neighbour, as long as my connection says secured that means nobody else can connect to it right?? as you can tell i am a complete div in all thing I.T. and my dad is now saying he wants me to connect via the ethernet but i have no idea how to do that :unsure: :unsure:

Umm, I don't think you actually connect to the ethernet, I think an ethernet is a type of cable :unsure: ......tell your dad to go and fiddle with the radiators, and leave the internet alone :laugh:

If you've got a dongle do you need a router ? I thought dongles worked off mobile phone signals and you didn't need anything else.

I'm not sure about the secured connection, I've got a password on mine.

Umm, I don't think you actually connect to the ethernet, I think an ethernet is a type of cable :unsure: ......tell your dad to go and fiddle with the radiators, and leave the internet alone :laugh:

If you've got a dongle do you need a router ? I thought dongles worked off mobile phone signals and you didn't need anything else.

I'm not sure about the secured connection, I've got a password on mine.

There are many different "dongles" for different things. If the pc/laptop does not have a wireless card built in, then you need to use a usb adapter (also sometimes called a dongle) so the computer can "talk to" the router and connect to the internet.

Ethernet is indeed a network for computers to connect to a router by cable. :)

yep thats what i meant a usb connecter, my dad wanted ethernet cable connection instead :rolleyes: after 5hours spent on it yesterday and numerous crashes i have gone back to my old modem, it may be wonky but at least it is simple :laugh: :laugh: jane you are right i should leave him to bleed the radiators, mind you it is me that has to clear the mess up :laugh: :laugh: