UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

School Kids This Week

heva

My mum teachers special needs in a local secondary school and this week she asked me in to talk to her very special cla about dogs and ownership as part of a community course there doing. The school is in the area that the recent news film on liverpool pitbulls was made so you can imagine how they all are. Anyway asked who had dogs and all 12 lads put hands up.......1 had american bulldog......5 said staffi or X and rest said pitbull.

sad thing is some of these lads are from big well known families who prob do have actual pitbulls never mind just types.

anyway we all chatted for about 45mins (this is long for their attention span) they didnt know anything about neutering (or that you could even stop dogs from having pups) didnt know about vaccs......lets not even attempt flea and worm. We went through eerything from kong toys to halti and harnesses. Some wrote down names of PDSA etc to get help with vest stuff!

i have met one or two of them in the park and they have gorgeous dogs..........but i really hope now that we can slowly get the message into them about ownership and they will seek advise! (dont have any DNB leaflets or would give them those too)

My company offers workshops oin a variety of subjects of interest to young people, including grafitti, DJ'ing etc. I'd love to be able to offer one on responsible pet ownership - how do you go about presenting something like that to the young people?

Amazing how half of them own pitbulls- doubt very much if they are. If they were they'd all have the police around & be sitting in stinking kennels by now. Good that you were able to go into the school to discuss things with them thou. Nothing worse than kids for nagging parents- hether they have special needs or not.

Did your leaflets not arrive? :mellow: I'll send some more next week if not.

If any of them can get over to Bolton, the RSPCA rae offering free neutering on any bullbreed at the mo. Worth the trip :flowers:

No sorry and didnt want to hound you again!!! Shall pass message on about bollton thats brill! Altho i doubt a lot of them have cars....well legal ones :glare:

Amazing how half of them own pitbulls- doubt very much if they are. If they were they'd all have the police around & be sitting in stinking kennels by now. Good that you were able to go into the school to discuss things with them thou. Nothing worse than kids for nagging parents- hether they have special needs or not.

Most of them are prob not pitbuls but i didnt want to get into arguments with some really hard little lads! But believe me some of them are from biggggg families.......who the police would prob not go near never mind for a dog. some come from drug and gun dealing families! And i have met one or two of the dogs and they are not just type but are pitbull.....but stunning!!! (sadly becoming one of fave breeds the more i see what they supposed to look like.....shame will never own one)