UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Diabetic Dog

Fee

When OH took Callie to the vet's yesterday he met one of our elderly neighbours, very distressed because her old dog has just been diagnosed with diabetes and will need a daily injection.

Neither this lady nor her dog are very mobile, and although the vet's surgery isn't far it is going to be a real struggle for her to get there. David is giving her a lift there this morning and said he will take her when he can, but his working hours mean that this isn't always going to be possible. I don't drive, so can't be much help even on the days I'm at home.

I have no experience of canine diabetes, and wondered - do the injections have to be given by a vet, or can people be trained to do them at home? The dog's owner has very shaky hands so I doubt she would be able to do it, but is it something I could learn to do? This lady adores her dog, so I'm really desperate to find a way to help her if I can.

Should be able to be done at home. One of my friends occasionally looks after a diabetic collie, and they have to catch her wee in a container a few times a day, test it, and inject her with insulin. I think she has to go for more regular check ups at the vets than a 'normal' dog, but other than that, it's all left for the owners to do :)

Thanks all. I had a chat with the lady yesterday - one of the vet nurses who lives in the next road has volunteered to call in on her way to work and do the urine test and the injections for the moment, which I thought was really sweet.

Once they are sure the condition is stabilised we're going to sort out a rota between me and a couple of other neighbours who have offered to help, and get ourselves trained to do the injections.

I just hope all goes well for this old dog, she and her owner are both so sweet and are absolutely devoted to one another.