UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Geriatric Rabbit

vickiem30

My rabbit, Rolf, is nine now and showing his age, bless him. Today I was cleaning him and noticed he'd gone quite thin. My brother and I took him to the emergancy vets. Shw said it was just old age, trimmed his teeth gave us some liquid feed to help him keep his strength up and relieved us of £45! :laugh:

Does anyone have any experience of looking after old rabbits? We've brought him inside and help him clean himself. He can still move about and greets us and has a guinea pig friend (I didn't know they shouldn't live together when I got them and they are too elderly to be separated).

At the moment he's flaked out, worn out from his exciting day!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh I missed this. I have had a few that have got to reasonable ages. As you say, they tend to get a bit skinny - generally I think they go bony on top, as long as there is still a reasonable amount of tummy underneath, and their fur is in good condition, those are the main things. Otherwise I don't think it's very different to looking after younger rabbits, you do need to keep a daily eye on them to make sure they are eating properly, as they can lose condition really quickly and of course fly strike is a risk too, but that's the case for all ages.

When you say you cleaned him up, does he have difficulty keeping himself clean?

What is he eating? If he's having problems maintaining his weight on his current diet, it's worth experimenting to find other things he might like. Can be difficult I know if you have a chubby guineapig scoffing it all, I think that is one reason they recommend keeping them separately now.

Oh, the other thing I have found with elderly buns is that because they tend to be a bit less active, you do have to keep an eye on their feet because they don't wear their claws down as fast as youngsters.

My oldest bunny will be 10 in December :-) He is a bit skinner than he used to be, but fresh veg every day help keeping weight on him. You might want to think particularly about higher calory stuff like carrots as well.

Other than the fact that he is pretty much totally deaf now, he is doing well and still quite active! He doesn't need any special care as such.

Vera

My oldest bunny is 12 and is a bit skinnier along his backbone than a younger rabbit, but has a bit more tummy to compensate. The next two oldest are 10 and 8 and they both look quite fit.

A good thing to do is to weigh your bunny once a week and see if he really is losing weight or if his weight is just shifting to his waistline! If he is losing weight then find a really experienced bunny vet to look at his teeth and also consider a blood test to check liver/kidney function like you would for a dog or cat.

I'm sure you are doing this anyway, but make sure that Rolf has lots of warm bedding during the winter.

What is he eating at the moment?

I am really sorry to read this. I was just about to right a reply when i scrolled down and saw he had gone to the bridge. My Benjamin died this year at the age of 11 1/2 and i miss him dreadfully. Maybe they will play together at rainbow bridge where their health is restored :GroupHug:

Thanks for all your replies.

Even though he was old, it was still heartbreaking to see him lying there. The vet had asked us about having him pts, but he was comfortable and was interested in life, so we said no. I think we did the right thing, he slipped away gently in his sleep, with his friend at his side.

Our worry is for dave, he is very sad at losing his friend. He is eating though, which is something.